Associate / Senior Associate - Rocky Mountain Institute
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking multiple Associates and Senior Associates (entry and mid-level research and collaboration positions) to support our many program teams. RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds. We will carefully review each application to determine the appropriate starting position level (Associate or Senior Associate), and this will be communicated during the interview process.
Application Deadline and Timeline:
Please submit all application materials by October 30th, 2020. We are targeting a mid-January start date for this group of new hires.
As an Associate or Senior Associate, you are a creative problem solver who uses your quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling research and assessment around vital energy issues. You will collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and clients.
As an RMI Associate, you will be an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. You will develop expertise in the content area of your specific program within RMI and will provide subject-matter support on that topic to other RMIers.
Your key job responsibilities as an Associate primarily include:
- Provide quantitative analysis, modeling, and support to our projects.
- Locate and manage high quality data that sheds new light on problems and solutions.
- Create innovative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion, respond to outreach requests.
Your key responsibilities as a Senior Associate include the above, and:
- Structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- Design and create approaches and quantitative models to effectively address key questions and challenges posed by our research goals and clients.
- Contribute publicly at conferences, share expertise in response to media requests, discuss our work with donors, and direct RMI research collaborations.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy), business (marketing, finance, international), economics, computer science, mathematics, architecture, physical and social sciences, OR undergraduate degree and 2-4 years of cumulative work experience and excellent work references.
- Ability to design, create, and run Excel-based models.
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows).
- Familiarity with energy, climate, buildings and/or the electricity industry.
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields.
- Ability to stick with a problem through resolution but also knowing when to ask for help.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines and take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations.
- Demonstrated initiative and accomplishment in previous work.
These positions will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our office locations. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting Associate level salary is $68,000, and the starting Senior Associate salary is $76,500. Both levels have a 5% bonus target, and there is potential to earn more based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.