Associate / Senior Associate - Global Methane Solutions
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking Associates for our Global Methane Solutions Program. RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds. We will carefully review each application to determine the appropriate starting position level (Associate or Senior Associate), and this will be communicated during the interview process.
Application Deadline: October 30th, 2020
We are looking for an Associate or Senior Associate to support our Global Methane Solutions team in the United States. Global Methane Solutions is a partnership between Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) and SYSTEMIQ, and branded as a separate entity, that is focused on using market mechanisms to achieve large-scale reductions in methane emissions from the global oil and gas industry. We have developed a product standard for natural gas produced with minimal methane emissions and are focused on developing the market for this differentiated, certified product.
You will work with the Global Methane Solutions senior leadership team (director, senior content leads and other team leads) across RMI and SYSTEMIQ to assist with market and operational analysis, contractor management and delivery of the program. While we are a mission driven team striving to reduce methane emissions, the candidate should be comfortable working with the oil and gas industry to do so. Previous oil and gas industry experience is highly regarded, as well as the understanding of the science behind the issue of methane emissions.
This is an exciting opportunity to help launch a new market for certified gas in North America at a critical time in the global energy transition. Ideal start date is October 2020.
Apply creative approaches to solve problems and drive project insights
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format
- Engage with external stakeholders via phone interviews, conferences, business development (technical and non-technical in nature)
- Assist the team to stimulate demand for Global Methane Solutions certified natural gas, including:
- Articulating value propositions and tailored offerings to large natural gas buyers (electric and gas utilities, heavy manufacturers, etc.)
- Working closely with RMI's procurement-oriented programs (REBA, CRA, America's Pledge) to build momentum and demand
- Explore additional market opportunities
- Project manage consultants (scope, budgets, deliverables)
- Conduct technical analysis for the expansion the Global Methane Solutions Standard to other segments of the Oil and Gas supply Chain
- Bachelor’s degree required (in an applicable field such as engineering, economics, business or physical and social sciences; advanced degree in a related field is a plus
- A minimum of 2 years’ relevant work experience in a related field, in energy and environment, OR an advanced degree (or higher degree)
- Strong problem-solving, research and writing skills
- Understanding of climate change science and related issues and policies
- Commitment to eliminating methane emissions from the oil and gas value chain
- Prior work experience on projects related to energy markets and/or the oil and gas sector
- Collaborative outlook with strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that these roles be located at one of our office locations. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting Associate level salary is $68,000 and the starting Senior Associate salary is $76,500. Both levels have a 5% bonus target, and there is potential to earn more based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.