Manager / Principal - Global Methane Solutions
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 220+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2020-2021 annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
We are looking for a Manager or Principal level candidate to lead our Global Methane Solutions team in the United States. Global Methane Solutions is a partnership between Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) and SYSTEMIQ, and branded as a separate entity, that is focused on using market mechanisms to achieve large-scale reductions in methane emissions from the global oil and gas industry. We have developed a product standard for natural gas produced with minimal methane emissions and are focused on developing the market for this differentiated, certified product. This position will lead the development of the market for methane emissions certified gas in North America, and will engage heavily with natural gas producers and buyers. A parallel position in Europe, reporting to the SYSTEMIQ side of the partnership, engages in similar work to engage with the gas markets serving Europe, including Eurasia, Northern Africa and the Middle East.
The candidate should be a team leader and program manager in a very entrepreneurial setting – willing to roll up their sleeves to do research and create presentations, but also able operate at a high-level with executives both within and outside of RMI. The candidate should be able to think strategically about how to design big systemic shifts, but also able to manage the day-to-day activities of the team. The Program Manager will be a strong communicator, should feel at ease running virtual and in-person workshops with diverse stakeholders, and feel comfortable building relationships with senior managers from partner organizations, regulatory bodies and oil and gas companies to drive the market development of methane emissions certified gas. The candidate will have ample experience and past responsibility in managing commercial deals, business or projects towards closure, a clear goal or agreed timelines and key performance indicators. The candidate will be accustomed to working under time pressure, including meeting or exceeding targets under changing circumstances and uncertainty (e.g. changes in the industry, organizational changes, functional complexities, political and regulatory changes, etc…).
The Manager or Principal will work closely with the Global Methane Solutions senior leadership team (managing director, senior content leads and other team leads) across RMI and SYSTEMIQ to manage the strategy, budget and delivery of the program. Understanding of North American and European political systems, including regulatory efforts, is preferred. While we are a mission-driven team striving to reduce methane emissions, the candidate should be comfortable working with the oil and gas industry to do so. Previous oil and gas industry experience is required, as well as the understanding of the science behind the issue of methane emissions.
This is an exciting opportunity to help launch a new market for certified gas in North America at a critical time in the global energy transition. Ideal start date is October 2020.
The primary responsibilities for this position include:
- Direct all activities to develop the market for Global Methane Solutions (GMS) certified gas in North America, major focus on interacting with gas buyers to build demand for the product
- Project manage the North American side of the Global Methane Solutions team, including developing project timelines, resource plans, success metrics and program budget. Liaise closely on each of these activities with the GMS Europe team.
- Manage a team of 1-3 associates, provide professional mentorship, structure and work product management
- Serve as the primary spokesperson on the GMS standard and certified gas for North America. Represent GMS as an industry expert at conference presentations, workshops, and media engagements
- Manage a diverse stakeholder network interested in differentiated gas, including oil and gas companies, gas marketers, commercial gas buyers (industry and utilities), civil society, industry associations, academics and policy makers
- Contract with and coordinate the work of external consultants supporting development and market-building activities for the GMS standard (technical, commercial, branding, communications, legal, etc.)
- Work closely with RMI’s communication team to develop and roll out communications strategies
- Participate in business and donor development activities
- Travelling (some, mostly within North America) to and from stakeholder meetings
- May also be expected to support and deliver other projects and tasks, in line with skills and experience that contribute to RMI’s overall organizational objectives
- Commitment to eliminating methane emissions from the oil and gas value chain
- A minimum of 7-10 years’ relevant work experience in the oil and gas industry, including but not limited to production operations, origination, trading, business development, commercial management, government relations and/or sustainability efforts
- Bachelor’s degree required (in an applicable field such as engineering, economics, business (finance, strategic consulting), law, or physical and social sciences); advanced degree in a related field is a plus
- Outstanding knowledge of North American gas markets, including traded markets
- Very strong business development experience
- Very strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Very strong people and managerial skills
- Experience managing multi-stakeholder processes including members with diverse viewpoints
- Maintains a network of contacts in the industry and is a well-respected professional in the field
Preferred knowledge, skills, experience and competencies:
- Understanding of climate change science and related issues and policies, familiarity with global energy transition scenarios and pathways
- Knowledge in regulatory or voluntary energy market instruments and administration
- Interest and knowledge in emerging trends in and across technology related to emissions management
- Language skills in addition to English are a plus
RMI offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
- Appreciation of Work-Life Balance
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future. We are keen to receive applications from all parts of the global community.
RMI US office. Locations include Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C. Note that the position will remain remote through the COVID-10 pandemic.
The starting salary range for a Manager level is $90-100k with a 10% bonus target, and the starting salary for Principal Level is $121-125k with a 20% bonus target.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.