Director of Public Relations
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewable energy. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
We are seeking a dynamic, driven, and creative individual to RMI’s Core Communications Team. The purpose and role of this position is to manage, develop, and execute public relations and communications strategies and initiatives that advance the organization’s brand reputation in US and other markets.
This an exciting opportunity to work with senior executives and leaders across the organization in building their reputations as industry thought leaders and the overall RMI brand. This person will be responsible for reputational management activities and serve as the lead on public relations in US, collaborating with senior public relations colleagues in international offices, and managing a US media team. This person will also work closely with programs to develop and ensure alignment of efforts to support near-term opportunities and long-term media strategies that expand the organization’s efforts on the energy transition. The PR and Communications Director will also provide coordination and support to Core Communications in their broader PR efforts across all markets and geographies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- The role will report directly to the MD, Global Marketing & Communications, and will support the Programs and Core Communications Team
- Be responsible for reputational management strategies and approaches for crisis communications situations.
- Develop and execute dynamic press and earned media strategies to support growing the organization’s reputation, including management of the contracted public relations firm to support the broader PR efforts of the Company, where necessary
- Develop written press materials – releases, talking points, story pitches – and manage approval process with internal stakeholders and partners.
- Assist in facilitating media interviews for executives and subject matter experts, including identifying internal spokespersons, gaining approval and ensuring alignment with program marketing managers, media training and coaching, development of talking points, and coordination with PR firm, and internal stakeholders.
- Write, design, create, and distribute high-quality communications materials, including media releases, media briefs, issue briefs and other marketing collateral.
- Capture successes and metrics from across the organization and translate them into compelling stories and case studies.
- Advise management on strategies to leverage communications materials in a manner that helps achieve the short-term and long-term objectives.
- Provide support for communications related to government relations. Provide support for broader branding, marketing and communications efforts across the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned by leadership.
- Manage US media team
- Set and achieve annual media strategy and targets
- Proactively pitch media
- Monitor ongoing trends, news and topics for relevant/timely ways each brand can participate in the dialogue
- Develop compelling external communications assets such as press releases, media alerts, proactive media pitches and media briefing books
- Become a subject matter expert on energy
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, influencers, partners
- Maintain our overall messaging platform and ensure communications are on-brand and consistent in terms of style, tonality and execution
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field and/or appropriate combination of education and significant experience
- 8+ years of experience in a public relations and/or communications role, preferably leading major pieces of business in an agency
- 5 years of direct experience in external media relations and earned media success
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and execute on a number of projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, acting with urgency and accuracy
- Possess the energy and drive to accomplish goals, meet deadlines, and find solutions
- Ability to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional track record of working effectively with the media, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing stories
- Experience managing communications strategies with measurable results
- Established, trustworthy relationships with top-tier media outlets and/or journalists preferred
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to clearly communicate information to multiple audiences
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues
- Self-starter that can also work autonomously with enthusiasm, no job is too big or too small
- Proficiency with MS Office, media contact databases and Microsoft office
- Experience with energy, finance and environmental media preferred
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Preference for New York City or Washington D.C.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.