Development Marketing Director
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. We engage businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI is working virtually during COVID-19, and is maintaining offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a senior, experienced Director of Marketing for Development to help achieve the organization’s philanthropic growth goals by leading the strategic and tactical marketing and communications for RMI’s global philanthropic donor portfolio. This position reports to the Managing Director of Development, supports a global fundraising team and donors, manages the Marketing & Engagement Specialist, and works across internal stakeholders to meet/exceed current and prospective funders expectations for a full suite of communication tools. RMI’s fundraising program has more than doubled in philanthropic revenue in the last four years and is seeking to continue to grow our global community of funders. i
Roles and Responsibilities
- Donor communications strategy and implementation: develop, establish, and execute a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy in direct support of RMI’s philanthropic goals including:
- Build efficient process and capabilities to deliver high-quality proposals including compelling and accurate narratives, presentations and other donor-focused products.
- Systematically identify strategies to attract key audiences – especially global high net-worth individuals and foundations - to more effectively reach current donors, grow our donor base, and convert contacts to donors.
- Develop and manage the marketing strategy and deliverables associated with RMI’s major annual appeals
- Develop, manage, and expand institutional donor-focused marketing collateral including print, digital, and video
- Organize donor events (in-person and digital) and marketing and communications activities associated with these events.
- Assessing effectiveness of the tactics and activities through metrics, data-analytics and appropriate donor surveys
2. Effectively communicate mission impact and ROI: deliver impact reporting and associated set of metrics in close collaboration with other teams within RMI:
- Develop cadence for increased donor stewardship of impact for institutional donors, including Quarterly Impact Statement, social media strategy, and annual report to leverage clearer articulation of organizational goals and impacts
- Continue to increase greater emotional appeal and donor engagement: working across RMI programs and in close collaboration with communications to surface, highlight, and celebrate the most compelling stories of impact and emotional resonance, while also inviting current and future donors to engage more proactively with RMI.
3. Research, launch, and expand new RMI supporter programs, giving funds, and offerings
4. Pursue and enhance philanthropic marketing partnerships: both internally and externally
5. Work with and coach RMI staff on best practices for donor communications including:
- Creating guides and templates
- Providing in-person coaching opportunities
- Finding creative ways to integrate donor communications into other training and education opportunities that exist within the Institute
- 10+ years’ experience in fundraising and marketing/communications disciplines with experience with high net-worth individuals, major global foundations, and multilateral funders.
- Proven career and successful track record of strategic marketing/fundraising campaigns
- Experience in climate, energy or environmental content.
- A strong, fast-paced, team player with excellent interpersonal collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Ability to quickly produce strong proposal and stewardship work-products with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent initiative with strong follow-through and project management skills
- Flexible and comfortable working in an iterative manner in a fluid environment
- High attention to detail, while also a Creative thinker
- Passion for RMI’s mission
- Master’s Degree
- Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities in which we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are drawing the best from the complete talent pool
- Competent in communicating with diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
This position will be remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the situation improves, it is expected that this role will be located at one of the RMI office locations.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.