Analytics Manager - Carbon Free Cities and States
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of over 200 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
The Carbon-free Cities and States practice is a growing area in support of state and local action on climate and clean energy. RMI follows a think, do, scale approach to state and local engagements, focusing on designing and supporting activities that can be replicated in many locations.
This position will be remote during the COVID-19 pandemic and then move to an RMI office location. Locations: Preference for Washington D.C.; Boulder, CO or Oakland, CA also considered.
The analytics manager will lead a small team focused on U.S. state-level greenhouse gas reduction pathways. They will drive the investigation and creation of what is needed to move states toward net zero emissions, light-touch pathways scenario analysis with attention to actionable metrics for policymakers and advocates.
The analytics manager will bring a strategic lens to help define and prioritize our work, while also serving as an individual contributor on a small, agile team. The right candidate will bring a mix of technical, management and mentorship, and stakeholder engagement skills.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Map greenhouse gas reduction pathways for the United States and for a subset of states, including economy-wide pathways and sector-by-sector pathways for electricity, transportation, buildings, and industry.
- Oversee data extraction, transformation, and loading from a wide variety of data sources to support analysis needs
- Lead and work actively with a small team of experienced analysts; coach and motivate team members and work with the Principal to resolve any issues throughout project life cycles
- With senior guidance, manage analysis projects from inception to conclusion: change model, deliverables, technical approach, project plan, and stakeholder engagement
- Work with partners – across RMI and externally – to identify, synthesize, and incubate collaboration opportunities
- Manage the Analysis team’s product roadmap and milestones, refining based on early learnings, team and stakeholder feedback, and alignment with RMI’s leadership team
- 6+ years of cumulative project management experience, and excellent work references.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as environmental studies, energy, economics, computer science, or statistics
- Familiarity with at least one of RMI’s current programmatic focus areas (electricity, mobility, buildings, industry), including understanding of key trends and stakeholder landscape
- Familiarity with US deep decarbonization scenarios/pathways
- Background using analysis with state or municipal leaders to inform or influence policy development, especially relating to energy/carbon goals
- Experience managing and supporting high-performing technical teams, as a lead as well as technical contributor
- Proven track-record of organizing, developing, and executing analytic projects
- Research management experience
- Ability to create effective relationships, influence, and collaborate internally and externally at all organizational levels.
- Literacy in an open-source programming language, such as R or Python
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
The starting salary for the manager level will be in the $90-100k range, dependent on experience. This position will have an additional 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately upon hire)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.