Senior Development Specialist - Research and Donor Services
Development Specialist – Research and Donor Services is an integral part of Rocky Mountain Institute’s Development Team. This position reports to Director of Development Operations and provides proposal and reporting support to the Institute’s fundraising team, and also develops and maintains a robust program and institutional prospect pipeline through proactive prospect and influence research, briefings, and pipeline management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Prospect and Donor Research
- Develops and Monitors Fundraising Research and Funding Pipelines for RMI’s overall program portfolio, including influencers, individuals, foundations, corporations, and multilateral/bilateral donors and prospects.
- Research: Identify, evaluate, and recommend current and potential prospects and assess their ability to financially support Rocky Mountain Institute. Provide research and analysis of biographical, philanthropic, professional, and financial information about donors and prospects. Also Maintains database data quality with development assistant.
- Prepares executive level donor and prospect briefings in advance of meetings, events, and other engagement opportunities.
- Prepare written profiles, rating memos, event bios, and qualified lists to support the cultivation of individuals. Perform quantitative analysis to determine capacity ratings based on financial data in order to qualify prospects. Track prospects and donors through monitoring daily news, online "alerts," and internal information. Use technology to track donors and provide pertinent information to the appropriate relationship manager. Identify donor associates and acquaintances through relationship mapping to facilitate institutional involvement.
- Work with Development team to organize and coordinate donor strategy meetings. Collaborate with to develop cultivation and solicitation strategies and facilitate moves management. Identify new donors through proactive research and present findings at strategy meetings. Make recommendations about potential major donors.
- Inform and coordinate the evaluation, purchase, budget and renewal of research resources, publications and services. Represent research team in the evaluation, recommendation and selection of future electronic screening vendors.
Proposal and Stewardship Coordination
- Support the submission of foundation and individual proposals, stewardship reports, and other required or additional prospect and funder communication to increase the quality and efficiency of funding applications and stewardship.
- Serve as a central resource for standardized grant and proposal content, including organizing and developing the Development Sharepoint site, organizational documents, and other items needed for successful proposals and reporting.
- Coordinate between development officers, finance, project management office, and program teams to ensure grant timelines, reporting requirements and other critical information is documented in Salesforce and other key organizational systems to ensure a high quality donor experience.
- Understand the Salesforce Reporting Functions. Prepare basic Salesforce Reports and Modify Complex Apsona/Salesforce Reports to meet Development Department needs.
- Help Relationship Managers keep opportunity pipelines updated and accurate
Other Duties as Assigned
- As a member of a small Development team in a fast-paced and growing nonprofit, we are dedicated to serving as an unrivaled team.
- Bachelors Degree with a focus in environmental or energy related field.
- 2-3 years of experience in a research or research-related environment preferred
- Experience with information resources and publications is required, including fundraising databases (Salesforce), on-line research services, and database overlays.
- Methodologies using such tools as constituent list segmentation, data mining, and electronic and peer screenings
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including expertise in the modeling and analysis of data
- Proficiency in locating and synthesizing material from multiple sources
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and summarize complex biographical, business, and financial data
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately communicate sensitive information and judge how and with whom information should be shared
- Well-developed sense of curiosity, ingenuity, perseverance, and judgment
- Outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Ability to track and meet deadlines in a complex matrixed environment
Boulder or Basalt, Colorado
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
The starting salary for this position is $55,000-$60,000. You may be eligible to earn more dependent on experience that is vetted throughout the interview process.
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.