Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 200 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to energy solutions focused on electrification, deep efficiency, and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of more $50 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
The Development Officer is responsible for the development and management of a portfolio of current and potential major donors – foundations, individuals and corporate funders, as well as key programmatic initiatives and their fundraising strategy. This includes working with programmatic staff to build the fundraising strategy and the case for support while building and leveraging key relationships and contacts within and outside of the organization’s network. The Development Officer will be a key contributor to the development team and will be essential to the achievement of the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Advance individual and organizational relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions for Rocky Mountain Institute through personal visits, email correspondence, and telephone conversations with prospects and donors.
- Identify, qualify, solicit and steward a portfolio of approximately 100 – 150 new and existing prospects (individuals, foundations, and corporations) with capacity to make gifts (from $5,000 to $1,000,000 and more).
- Provide high quality experience for donors with grant management, legacy giving, and individual giving.
- Gather data, assess prospects, and develop strategies designed to realize the current and lifetime giving potential of prospects.
- Work with the program team to create compelling proposals, cultivate new prospects, and steward existing donors.
- Use Salesforce database to document moves management process and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for portfolio.
- Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI work and build strong working relationships with program leaders.
- Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that will compel donors to support key programs and projects.
- Represent RMI at events in order to expand the organization’s network and cultivate donors.
- Support the development team in preparing communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinating activities with program colleagues.
- Serve as an active member of the development team; support the implementation of the development team’s short- and long-term objectives; engage with the development team by attending staff meetings, serving on special task forces, participating in development-program meetings, and understanding and contributing to RMI/CWR’s development strategy and overall mission.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a track record of successful solicitation of foundation and individual gifts
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in non-profit development.
- Experience working successfully with top level Executives in a fast-paced environment.
- Planned giving and international experience desired but not required.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Knowledge of RMI’s mission and objectives as well as the principles and practices of non-profit organizations.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with RMI staff, Board members, community groups and other associated agencies.
- Able to navigate and understand a complicated funding environment with the flexibility to change course quickly with a positive attitude
Preferred Location: San Francisco with Basalt; Boulder Colorado as additional options
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
The starting salary for the Development Officer level is $76,500. You may be eligible to earn more dependent on experience that is vetted throughout our interview process.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.