Manager - Industry Program
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 200 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI's Industry Program works to decarbonize consumed goods, including how they are designed, produced and delivered to consumers. The program targets more than 40% of global greenhouse gas emissions, through three initiatives: (1) material inputs (commodities like iron ore and steel, bulk minerals, concrete and cement, plastics; (2) energy inputs (oil and natural gas, hydrogen, biofuels); and (3) goods delivery (aviation, trucking, rail and shipping).
Our Managers are creative project leaders who guide and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our industry partners and research. Managers are RMI’s primary project managers and work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects.
- The Manager is sometimes an individual contributor but is most often responsible for managing and guiding more junior staff, particularly Associates and sometimes Sr. Associates.
- Has responsibility for managing projects and/or significant portions of initiatives. The Manager works with Principals and Managing Directors to provide mentorship, professional development, and project reviews of more junior staff.
- Contributes to strategy-level conversations about initiatives and RMI.
- Developed expertise in one area and are conversant in one or more additional areas. The Manager represents RMI externally at mid-level technical events and to small to mid-sized groups.
- The Manager is beginning to participate in business development and sometimes has a significant role in that area.
- These positions sit in the energy inputs initiative:
- The first position has a specific focus on expanding RMI’s work on an analytic platform that blends modeled and measured data on methane emissions, alongside asset-level data on oil and gas facilities, to illustrate priority areas for methane abatement in the oil and gas industry.
- The second position has a specific focus on tracking and influencing state, national and international regulatory efforts to reduce methane emissions from the natural gas supply chain.
Managing projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously challenging and QC-ing findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 25 contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
Provides thought leadership
- Lead the development and roll-out of a suite of platform applications (apps), designed to serve needs identified by different potential users of the tool, including oil and gas operators, industrial gas buyers, investors, regulators and the public.
- Communicate clearly and comfortably the value proposition around methane management to companies along the oil and value chain and to industrial gas buyers including utilities and manufacturers
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications
- Represent RMI as an industry expert in meeting with industry coalitions, regulators and at conferences and other public speaking events
- Solicit feedback from various stakeholder groups and to feed these findings to the platform programming team to transform them into codable analytics layers.
- Iteratively update app design based on stakeholder feedback.
- Set clear vision and engage internal and external team for continuous improvement.
- Work with other members of the RMI methane program to ensure that platform informs and maintains alignment with the team’s larger body of work, including work to develop a standard for low methane-emission gas.
- Direct management of 1-2 junior staff members, in addition to leveraging talent across other RMI programs
- Significant engagement with oil and gas industry stakeholders, industrial gas buyers, investors, emission modelers, data analysts and technology consultants, in US regions, EU and Australia. Requiring substantial travel (up to 50% of time)
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in engineering, environmental economics / finance or energy-related discipline
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Understanding of modelled emission efforts, abatement and measurement technology.
- Understanding of upstream and downstream oil and gas operations, energy markets and transactions.
- Comfortable interacting with senior level persons within private and public sectors
- Ability to work effectively with remote team members spread across different geographies, including the US, Europe and China
- Prior work experience within the oil and gas sector or energy/gas markets.
- Experience in managing software development or insight applications related to environment /energy.
- Interest in joining the growing team of RMI's Industry Program, over time potentially working on other initiatives and projects
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Location: Any of RMI’s US locations: Basalt, CO; Boulder, CO; New York, NY; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.