Associate - Industry Program
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 200 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI's Industry Program works to decarbonize consumed goods, including how they are designed, produced and delivered to consumers. The program targets more than 40% of global greenhouse gas emissions, through three initiatives: (1) material inputs (commodities like iron ore and steel, bulk minerals, concrete and cement, plastics; (2) energy inputs (oil and natural gas, hydrogen, biofuels); and (3) goods delivery (aviation, trucking, rail and shipping).
This position requires a sound level of technical, content and problem-solving skills and good interpersonal skills. The Associate is an independent contributor and works closely with the team on projects under the direction of more senior staff. Associates may have some unique skill sets, but are generally asked to move across practice areas and learn a diverse range of topics.
This position is in the energy inputs initiative, with a specific focus on tracking and reducing methane emissions from the natural gas supply chain.
- Locate and manage high quality data that allow us to shed new light on problems and solutions.
- Create creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight.
- Synthesize recommendations from different stakeholders into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion responding to outreach requests.
- Will assist the work to stimulate demand for low-leakage natural gas, including:
- Articulating value propositions and tailored offerings to large natural gas buyers (electric and gas utilities, heavy manufacturers, etc.)
- Working closely with RMI's procurement-oriented programs (REBA, CRA, America's Pledge) to build momentum and demand
- Explore additional market opportunities, e.g., California, EU, etc
- Significant interactions with potential buyers across the U.S. and potentially internationally, requiring substantial travel (up to 50% of time)
- Will assist the work on the analytic tool to illustrate priority areas for methane abatement in the oil and gas industry.
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 2 years of work experience in an applicable field such as mechanical, environmental or energy engineering OR a Master's degree (or higher degree).
- Strong problem-solving, research and writing skills
- Energy policy experience
- Project work or prior work experience within one of the following areas:
- oil and gas sector, including methane monitoring technology
- sales and marketing of energy products
- environment/energy regulation
- computer programming/visualization related to environment/energy
- Collaborative outlook with strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Ability to work effectively with remote team members spread across different geographies, including the US, Europe and China energy markets
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Location: Any of RMI’s US locations: Basalt, CO; Boulder, CO; New York, NY; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.