Associate / Sr. Associate - City Renewables Accelerator
About Rocky Mountain Institute:
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 220 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $52 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; Oakland, California; and Beijing
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is looking for an Associate with a strong desire to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy by U.S. cities.
The City Renewables Accelerator (CRA) is an initiative dedicated to helping local governments achieve their climate and sustainability targets. Our team works directly with city, county, and other local government staff and supports them by directly providing technical and economic analysis, enabling peer support and learning, and developing tools and resources to meet specific practitioner needs. This project is currently focused on supporting renewable energy transactions within U.S. local governments, although future projects may expand our scope into other geographies and other types of sustainability initiatives. This project is part of the broader American Cities Climate Challenge, and RMI is working in close partnership with World Resources Institute on this effort.
Tool /resource development
- Conduct research to better understand key barriers and identify potential solutions with respect to renewable energy procurement and regulatory engagement
- Co-develop primers, web tools, or other resources in collaboration with senior staff to help cities overcome obstacles and successfully complete renewable energy transactions
Direct city technical assistance
- Develop expertise on cities’ ability to purchase energy through a particular contract structure (e.g. on-site solar, community-scale solar, off-site power purchase agreements, etc.)
- Conduct research and economic analysis to answer questions for cities relating to cost-effectiveness, regulatory environment, etc.
- Support regular meetings for groups of local government staff with similar ambitions by crafting agendas, producing slides, or developing technical analyses to enable group learning and peer interaction
Event design and logistical support
- Assist in the design and execution of small-group training sessions aimed at providing city leaders with an in-depth understanding of energy markets, their procurement options, and the process to purchase renewable energy.
- Provide support for these sessions by conducting outreach to potential participants and coordinating with external partners on venue selection and other logistical items.
- Graduate degree and/or 2+ years of relevant experience in an applicable field such as finance, economics, engineering, sustainability, or public policy.
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, including the ability break down complex issues in a straightforward, logical manner
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Comfort working in both collaborative team settings as well as independently managing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Willingness to dive into new areas of work and to learn new subject matter.
- Personal qualities: intellectual curiosity, flexible mindset, and a passion for impact and environmental sustainability
- Experience with group facilitation
- Experience working on community solar or city government
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future. RMI is an equal opportunity employer
Boulder, CO or Washington, D.C.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer