Manager - Electricity Program
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI is seeking exceptional Manager candidates for its Electricity Program. The Electricity Program accelerates the deployment of clean energy solutions in the United States electricity sector to ensure a transition to a distributed energy future. We work with utilities to overhaul business models and evolve into “utilities of the future,” with businesses to develop and share solutions for integrating distributed energy resources into the grid, and with influential early adopters who are willing to experiment with and ultimately implement transformative solutions.
Our Managers are creative project leaders who guide and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our industry partners and research. Managers are RMI’s primary project managers, and work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects.
We look for leadership in problem solving, ability to develop and guide unique analysis, and aptitude for driving a team toward meaningful results. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and a passion for making the world better. RMI’s Managers are independent project managers, with the ability to design and manage multiple workstreams, and to coach junior staff to meet project goals. They are responsible for substantial projects, and are often primary authors responsible for structuring and delivering compelling written products to drive insights for our partners. Managers are also often subject matter experts in a particular area, and can provide support internal to RMI on that topic.
Our work represents a mix of team-driven original research and client/partner driven implementation-focused projects. Managers will be expected to contribute to both types of work, as well as participate in communications, speaking, and donor-development for the program as a whole.
The key job responsibilities of a Manager primarily include:
- Shape and execute project strategy from inception to conclusion.
- Scope engagement and determine project objectives
- Develop analytic approach
- Develop stakeholder engagement approach
- Create and execute multiple workstreams
- Manage staff and timeline to ensure the delivery of high-quality outputs
- Contribute to thought leadership.
- Develop hypotheses to guide work
- Propose new ways to analyze problems and think about solutions
- Structure and deliver compelling presentations and written products to bring new insight to the industry
- Structure and oversee the work of more junior team members.
- Act as the primary relationship manager with external partners and stakeholders.
- Represent RMI in external interviews, videos, and publications.
- Work hand-in-hand with our communication team to develop communications strategies.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as engineering (electrical, energy), business (finance, strategic consulting), law (environmental), or computer science, mathematics, physical and social sciences.
- 6+ years of cumulative work experience, and excellent work references.
- Familiarity with electricity industry, including understanding of key trends and stakeholder landscape
- Ability to oversee and QC use of complex analytic models (e.g., Excel, MatLab, eQUEST, EnergyPlus).
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows).
- Ability to stick with a problem until a solution is found, but knowledge of when to ask for help.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Ability to communicate your ideas clearly.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines.
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
- A passion for making the world better.
- 2+ years prior experience in strategic and management consulting.
- Experience working with utilities, regional grid operators, regulators, DER service providers, or other NGOs in the electricity sector.
- Experience managing diverse stakeholders.
RMI ensures thoughtful review of each candidate to determine the appropriate position level for all individuals and this will be communicated prior to the interview process.
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment