Principal / Manager – Electricity Program, Coal Transition
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI’s Electricity Program supports the rapid transition to a low-carbon electricity system that can power a prosperous, secure, and equitable U.S. economy. We work closely with utilities, regulators, businesses, advocates, and customers to evolve grid institutions, policies, regulations and processes in support of the transition to a clean energy future. We employ a unique combination of research, consulting, and collaboration to support individuals and organizations to innovate and implement transformative energy solutions.
RMI is seeking exceptional leadership candidates for its Electricity Program to provide to support RMI’s work on the Coal Transition. Depending on the level of expertise and experience of the individual, eligible candidates will be consider for either a Manager or Principal position.
Our Managers are creative project leaders who guide and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our clients, partners, or industry. Managers are RMI’s primary project drivers and work closely with Program Principals and the Managing Director to design and execute projects. Principals, meanwhile, will provide leadership at an Initiative level, supporting and setting strategy for a portfolio of projects and multiple teams. Both positions work in close coordination to serve the overall mission and report to the Program Managing Director.
At either level, we look for leadership in problem solving, the ability to develop and guide unique analysis, and aptitude for driving a team toward meaningful results. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and a passion for making the world better. RMI’s leaders are independent project managers, with the ability to design and steer multiple workstreams, and to coach junior staff to meet project goals. They are responsible for substantial efforts, and are often primary authors responsible for structuring and delivering compelling written products to drive insights for our partners. Managers are also often subject matter experts in a particular area, and can provide support internal to RMI on a given topic.
Our work represents a mix of team-driven original research, client/partner driven consulting or implementation-focused projects; and industry or partner engagement and collaboration. Managers and Principals will be expected to competently lead and manage across all types of projects and Initiative activities, as well as participate in communications, speaking, and donor-development for the Initiative and Program as a whole.
The key job responsibilities include:
- Shape and execute project strategy from inception to conclusion.
- Scope engagements and determine project objectives
- Develop analytical approaches, and manage a team’s successful execution
- Develop stakeholder engagement approaches, and manage successful execution
- Create and execute project management plans and manage multiple workstreams
- Manage staff and timeline to ensure the delivery of high-quality outputs
- Manage project and Initiative budgets
- Contribute to thought leadership and research
- Develop hypotheses to guide work
- Propose new ways to analyze problems and think about solutions
- Structure and deliver compelling presentations and written products to bring new insights to the industry and partner
- Structure and oversee the work of more junior team members
- Act as the primary relationship manager with external partners and stakeholders
- Represent RMI in external interviews, media, and publications.
- Work hand-in-hand with our communications team to develop communications strategies.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as engineering (electrical, energy), business (finance, strategic consulting), law (regulatory, environmental), or computer science, mathematics, physical and social sciences.
- 6+ years of cumulative work experience, and excellent work references.
- Familiarity with electricity industry, including understanding of key trends and stakeholder landscape
- Ability to oversee, direct and support, and provide quality control for analytical work (e.g., Excel, MatLab, eQUEST, EnergyPlus, etc.).
- Understanding of basic financial analysis and metrics (e.g., NPV, cash flows, etc.)
- Experience in management consulting, campaigns, or similar work environments
- Familiarity with energy, climate, buildings and/or electricity industry
- Experience working directly with state or city leadership
- Familiarity with economic, technical, political, and communications issues specific to the coal industry and coal generation
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment