RMI India 2020 Fellowship Programme
RMI India is launching its inaugural fellowship programme. RMI India will select 2-4 individuals for the 2020 fellowship. The programme will last for 12 months and fellows will work as integral members of the RMI India team. Fellows will be expected to contribute their passion, expertise and creativity, and will have the opportunity to gain market and policy experience while working as essential members of a fast-paced, motivated, and mission driven team. The fellowship position is based in New Delhi, India.
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables.
RMI India is an independent nonprofit organization legally registered in India that accelerates India's transition to a clean, accessible, and prosperous energy future. It engages government, industry, and civil-society leaders to design innovative policy frameworks and market solutions to support India's clean energy and mobility transformations. RMI India takes inspiration from and is collaborating with Rocky Mountain Institute.
Since 2016, RMI India has been working with the public and private sectors to enable India’s clean energy and mobility future. Our ongoing work includes partnerships with the central government, regional governments, utilities, industry leaders, and civil society organizations. We have a deep focus in the transportation and power sectors, which currently account for more than 50% of India’s carbon emissions and particulate pollution.
At the national level we work with policymakers and ministries to support the development of policies that save energy and emissions, and that are helping establish India’s low-carbon development pathway. Collaborative and rigorous analysis helps build commitment and confidence among key stakeholders by quantifying the potential environmental and economic impacts of policy proposals.
In collaboration with subnational government and industry partners, we work to deploy demonstration projects and leading early examples of integrated clean energy solutions. The experience of the pilots (both success and challenges) inform policy recommendations to the central government, creating a learning cycle that helps refine policies for long term impact.
Applicants should have recently completed a masters or graduate-level degree in a related field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy), business (marketing, finance, international), computer science, mathematics, architecture, physical and social sciences. They should also have basic knowledge of one or more of the team’s focus areas: Renewable energy policy and technology, energy storage technology, transportation policy, electric mobility, transportation logistics, and urban design and planning.
The applicant should be comfortable working with and reporting on research and analysis, including literature review, case study development, spreadsheet modeling, and potentially more advanced modeling. In addition to skills and expertise, we value and seek the following qualities in our candidate: intense curiosity, self-motivation, ability to work independently, willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas, and a passion for supporting India’s clean energy and mobility systems.
- Top-level academic performance; at least one year of cumulative work experience is a plus.
- Experience in—or functional knowledge of—the transportation and/or energy sectors with an understanding of key issues and concepts in one or more of the following focus areas: renewable energy, energy storage, energy markets, mobility data, electric vehicles, charging infrastructure, urban freight, and public transport.
- Strong research skills with the ability to identify relevant sources, summarize key findings, apply knowledge to unique problems, perform original meta-analysis, and document these items clearly.
- Strong analytical capabilities and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Ability to synthesize technical information and make recommendations in clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Ability to work effectively with a team and a high degree of professionalism in interaction with others both internally and externally.
- Work or academic experience with international and/or Indian cities is a plus.
- Interest in India’s energy transition and urban development.
- Location: New Delhi, India
- Duration: 12 months, starting Summer 2020 (start date is flexible within June-July 2020 time-frame)
- Compensation: A market-competitive monthly stipend will be paid to RMI India Fellows
- Application period: 15 January-15 February 2020
- Decision notification: 15 March 2020
Please ensure you have read the entire announcement below before submitting an application.
Be prepared to share (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) a writing or analysis sample. All three documents are required. Candidates who do not provide compelling answers to the questions “Why do you want to work at RMI India?” and “In what ways are you qualified to contribute to RMI India’s mission?” in their cover letter may not be considered. Additionally, incomplete application materials (for example, a missing cover letter or writing/analysis sample) may not be considered.
Due to the large number of applications received, RMI India is not able to respond to every applicant. We will be in contact with applicants moving to the interview stage.