RMI India Manager (New-Delhi Based)
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables.
RMI India is an independent nonprofit organization legally registered in India that accelerates India's transition to a clean, accessible, and prosperous energy future. It engages government, industry, and civil-society leaders to design innovative policy frameworks and market solutions to support India's clean energy and mobility transformations. RMI India takes inspiration from and collaborates with Rocky Mountain Institute.
RMI India collaborates with the public and private sectors to support and enable India’s clean energy and mobility future. Our ongoing work includes partnerships with the central government, regional governments, utilities, industry leaders, and civil society organizations. We have a deep focus in the transportation and power sectors, which currently account for more than 50% of India’s carbon emissions and particulate pollution.
At the national level, we work with policymakers and ministries to support the development of policies that save energy and emissions, and that are helping establish India’s low-carbon development pathway. Our collaborative and rigorous analysis helps build commitment and confidence among key stakeholders by quantifying the potential environmental and economic impacts of policy proposals.
In partnership with subnational government and industry partners, we work to deploy demonstration projects and leading early examples of integrated clean energy solutions. The experience of the pilots (both success and challenges) inform policy recommendations to the central government, creating a learning cycle that helps refine policies for long term impact.
RMI India is seeking a qualified manager to help lead our programmatic activities. Our Managers are creative project leaders who guide and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions with our industry and government partners. Managers are RMI’s primary project managers, working closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects.
First and foremost, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
- Curiosity, creativity and ability to quickly learn new disciplines and fields.
- Excellent quantitative analysis and modeling skills.
- Excellent writing skills and presentation preparation capability.
- Strong verbal communication skills, from one-on-ones to speeches.
- Interest in and solid track record of people development.
- Skills and desire to change client’s and decision-maker’s minds on intensely important issues.
- A passion for making the world better.
- Managing projects to yield breakthrough insights and results.
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously challenging and providing quality control for RMI India teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff.
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 25 contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications.
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events.
- Graduate (masters) degree in a field such as engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, energy), business (marketing, finance, international), computer science, mathematics, architecture, physical and social sciences, or proven ability to work in and add value to technical decision-making.
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience in one of RMI India’s core focus areas (renewable energy policy and technology, energy storage technology, transportation policy, electric mobility, transportation logistics, and urban design and planning).
- Experience as a manager, recruiting, developing and leading diverse teams.
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive.
- Experience raising funds from foundations, individuals and multilateral funders, and managing associated budgets.
- Experience and confidence working with senior government officials and private sector executives in India.
- Expansive network in India's public and private energy sector.
- Experience collaborating with municipal and state-level governments.
- Experience with policy, technologies, business models, and design approaches across India’s transportation and electricity sectors.
- Competitive salary package
- Reimbursement for medical insurance
- A casual work environment
- An institutional commitment to work-life balance
Due to the large number of applications received, RMI India is not able to respond to every applicant. We will be in contact with applicants moving to the interview stage.