Data Scientist (Senior Associate) - Industry Program
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking candidates for a Senior Associate (RMI’s mid-level research position) in Heavy Transport Initiative of its Industry Program. This Senior Associate will focus on accelerating the electrification of fleets, especially those engaged in goods delivery, by using vehicle travel and other data sources to create insights and tools that enable the rapid and effective deployment of EVs. Examples of that could include projects such as analyzing vehicle travel patterns to estimate the location and type of charging that those vehicles would require to be converted to EVs or classifying vehicle use cases by their ease of electrification. While this Senior Associate will work in the Industry program, there will be significant opportunities for collaboration with other programs at RMI; a successful candidate will work closely with RMI’s mobility program as well as its China and India programs.
While a strong candidate could choose to work from any of RMI’s US offices, the preferred location is our Basalt office. Basalt is in the heart of Colorado’s Roaring Fork Valley and working from that office would provide the opportunity to apply top notch data science skills to critical challenges in sustainability and climate change, while enjoying unparalleled access to the outdoor lifestyle that the Roaring Fork Valley offers.
Senior Associates are creative problem solvers who use their quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling analyses around vital energy issues. They collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and for our clients.
We look for aptitude at solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers, and working in groups. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, the ability to drive oneself and others toward meaningful results, and a passion for making the world better. RMI Senior Associates are independent contributors and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff.
The key job responsibilities of a Senior Associate primarily include:
- Provide core research on projects.
- Locate and manage high quality data that allow us to shed new light on problems and solutions.
- Create creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight.
- Develop hypotheses to guide work and propose new ways to analyze problems.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and on occasion responding to outreach requests.
- Structure and guide the work of more junior team members.
- Engage with external experts and stakeholders through conference presentations, topical expertise for media requests, outreach to RMI donors, and direct collaboration on RMI research.
Examples of specific skills and experience sought for candidates for this position include:
- An ability to handle confidential data with discretion and integrity
- A willingness to engage deeply with complex problems without known answers
- Resilience and persistence in the face of setbacks and uncertainty
- Using technical tools to create innovative solutions to complex problems, while communicating those solutions to a non-technical audience
- Experience or strong knowledge of EVs mobility systems, especially goods delivery, is preferred, but can also be learned on the job.
A successful candidate will have all or most of the skills and experience listed below:
Education and Work Experience:
- An undergraduate degree in a quantitative subject such as computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics, or data science, and a strong track record of excellent data science work.
- 2+ years of cumulative work experience in data science, either in academia or the private sector, and excellent work references.
- Strong statistics and machine learning skills
- Excellent Python skills for data science (Pandas, Numpy, Scikit-Learn, etc) or excellent skills in other data science programming languages (e.g. R) and a willingness to quickly translate those skills to Python
- Experience using SQL to store and manage large data sets
- Ability to use standard tools (MatPlotLib, Tableau, etc.) to create clear, communicative data visualizations.
- Familiarity with energy, climate, and the mobility industry
- Experience working collaboratively in global, multi-cultural team
- Ability to stick with a problem until a solution is found, but knowledge of when to ask for help.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Ability to communicate your ideas clearly.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines.
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas.
- A passion for making the world better
A successful candidate will likely have many of the skills and experience listed below:
Education and Work Experience:
- An advanced degree in in a quantitative subject such as computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics or data science.
- Experience using cloud-based tools for data storage and processing (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Experience with scalable data analysis frameworks (Apache Spark and PySpark, Hadoop, etc.)
- Experience analyzing and visualizing geospatial data using ArcGIS or similar software packages (e.g. QGIS).
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Parental Leave
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.
Basalt, CO (preferred), Washington D.C., New York, NY, Oakland, CA, Boulder CO