Manager - Global Climate Finance
About Rocky Mountain Institute
RMI’s mission is to transform global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. RMI engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. We employ rigorous research, analysis, and whole-systems expertise to develop breakthrough insights. We then convene and collaborate with diverse partners—business, government, academic, nonprofit, philanthropic, and military—to accelerate and scale solutions.
Global Climate Finance
RMI established a Global Climate Finance program in 2017 in recognition that the mobilization and smart allocation of finance is a critical enabler of the low-carbon transition globally. Our overall theory of change, captured in our 2018 publication Reinventing Climate Finance, envisions accelerated capital stock transformation of each carbon-emitting sector’s asset base (e.g. power plants, steel mills, vehicles). This means boosting clean energy finance flows, shutting off financial flows to build “dirty” fossil assets, accelerating the rate of retirement of those dirty assets, and shrinking the volume of assets needed in the first place (e.g. through demand-side efficiency and new mobility business models).
Our program blends thought leadership and the implementation of catalytic solutions to transform our global economy’s capital stock of assets. In developing countries, we work to boost climate finance flows by building strong national institutions (Green Investment Banks and the Climate Finance Access Service). In advanced economies, we accelerate the retirement of fossil energy capital stock by managing the capital transition while avoiding stranded assets and seek to apply these learnings in emerging markets (Managing the Coal Capital Transition). We also work to establish and operationalize the concept of climate alignment across the private financial sector through our Climate-Aligned Financial Sector Initiative.
RMI is seeking a manager to join the Global Climate Finance Program’s Climate-Aligned Financial Sector Initiative.
Expectations about the financial sector’s role in shaping a sustainable planet have evolved rapidly and have now converged on the notion of climate alignment—aligning financial decision-making with globally-agreed upon temperature goals. As this concept cements itself as an enduring feature of the financial landscape, financial institutions will increasingly be expected to accelerate the decarbonization of their portfolios through rapidly scaling up green investment while also supporting the transition of carbon-intensive industries, clients, and assets.
This creates tremendous opportunities as well as challenges for the financial sector. Based on RMI’s pioneering work in developing the Poseidon Principles and supporting the Climate Finance Leadership Initiative, the Climate-Aligned Financial Sector Initiative is seeking to develop the agreements, tools, and practices necessary to operationalize climate alignment—both effectively and pragmatically—across the financial sector.
The Climate-Aligned Financial Sector initiative is seeking an ambitious individual to join a new and growing team as a manager. Candidates should be highly collaborative and comfortable with a relatively flat hierarchy. Candidates should also be comfortable working on and contributing to a team committed both to high performance and ensuring a good work-life balance. While initial responsibilities are clear, high performers will have significant scope to shape their role in the future.
This position’s initial duties include: guiding and contributing to innovative, novel research on climate alignment in the financial sector; contributing to the development of strategy as well as ensuring strategy informs the day-to-day work of the initiative; overseeing multiple projects within the initiative; building internal and external relationships; supporting fundraising; representing RMI externally; and mentoring junior staff.
- Strategy Development and Implementation – Manager will work with both senior and junior staff to ensure that strategy is continually adjusted and refined while also ensuring that day-to-day work reflects this strategy.
- Research and Thought Leadership – Manager will work with both senior and junior staff to guide and contribute to novel research on climate alignment in the financial sector as well as to ensure that this is developed into highly-relevant thought leadership.
- Project, Budget, and Personnel Management – Manager will oversee and provide strategic guidance across multiple projects simultaneously. These projects will often include day-to-day interaction with high-level financial and corporate decision-makers, internal and external technical experts, and project partners. Manager will work with all participants to ensure that impactful, high-quality work is delivered on-time and on-budget.
- Relationship Building and Management – Manager will work with both senior and junior staff to ensure that positive working relationships are built and maintained in line with RMI’s method of working effectively with all parties from incumbents to disruptors.
- Fundraising – Manager will work closely with senior staff to support effective fundraising.
- Convening and Public Speaking – Manager will represent RMI in external presentations and gatherings. Manager will also convene and facilitate meetings – both in-person and virtual.
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as finance, economics, business, or environmental policy
- 8+ years of work experience in a related field
- 3+ years of management experience, including personnel, budget, and project management. Ability and desire to perform these functions within a flat hierarchy.
- Strong working knowledge of the private financial sector and a strong network of relevant contacts. Experience working in the private financial sector is a plus. Strong knowledge of climate alignment is a significant plus.
- Demonstrated track record of thought leadership – an ability to turn complicated concepts into compelling narratives tailored to specific audiences
- Strong, demonstrated capacity to work with technical concepts
- Strong, demonstrated ability to manage relationships adeptly
- Ability and desire to learn quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience facilitating meetings and convenings
* Our staff is composed of a wide skill set and we welcome a diverse range of education and experience.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Parental Leave
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
Location: Boulder, CO; Washington, DC; New York, NY