Accelerator Marketing and Communications Director
New technologies and business models are critically needed to accelerate the pace of the energy transition, but suffer from inadequate investment and support in the earliest stages of commercialization. This new program from Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI), working together with partner New Energy Nexus, reimagines how early-stage climate solutions can be brought to market and scaled using an ecosystem approach. We are launching a startup accelerator, with closely integrated venture funding and a leading collation of global corporate partners. Our goal is to dramatically increase the pipeline of investable, scalable climate solutions in Series A and beyond. Vertically integrating an early stage accelerator and VC fund with corporate collaboration and broader RMI network collaboration and knowledge will help overcome the most significant barriers to fast-tracking essential global climate solutions.
About the partners:
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 people works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization operating globally with an annual budget of $52 million and offices or regional operations in the United States, China, India, Southeast Asia, Africa, and island economies.
New Energy Nexus is a non-profit international organization that strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. To achieve this goal, New Energy Nexus supports diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California and now operates programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia and East Africa.
RMI and New Energy Nexus are seeking an experienced Marketing and Communications Director to build and maintain the brand for this ambitious new global initiative. Responsibilities include developing overall marketing strategy and executing outreach campaigns across diverse communications channels (digital media, public relations, direct and online) for events, startup recruiting, publications, and regular network engagement. The Marketing and Communications Director will work closely with other teams at RMI and New Energy Nexus to coordinate with their outreach, build from existing networks, and leverage in-house resources for graphics, editorial, etc.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and lead overall marketing/communications strategy for this new program to build and maintain a strong, recognized brand and network
- Manage website, social media channels, direct marketing strategies, and public relations
- Design and execute outreach campaigns for events, call for applications, major publications, etc.
- Coordinate media engagement at events
- Collaborate with corporate partners for shared outreach and brand benefits
- Leverage news making moments, startups’ progress, etc., to increase awareness and interest in the program
- Produce and disseminate regular communications, including direct marketing and program newsletter
- Help with startup recruiting, including targeted outreach and creating awareness
- Drive messaging, positioning, and dissemination of thought leadership for the program
- Manage look and feel of external-facing publications, event materials, website, etc.
- Manage marketing budget
- Work together with existing RMI and New Energy Nexus teams to coordinate outreach with other pograms, build from exiting networks, and use in-house resources for graphics, editorial, web, etc., or managing external contractors as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- An intense drive for results and impact
- 7+ years experience in marketing and communications disciplines, with clear experience in developing strategies and leading successful communications campaigns. Adept at marketing analytics.
- Excellent initiative and follow-through and project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, especially short form copy
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal / collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Previous experience and network in the cleantech innovation/startup space is not required, but preferred
Boulder, CO or Bay Area preferred, additional RMI office locations (Washington D.C and New York) considered
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer