Data and Reporting Analyst
Rocky Mountain Institute is an independent, entrepreneurial, nonprofit think-and-do tank that drives the efficient and restorative use of resources and is currently focused on accelerating the U.S. transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewable energy. Established in 1982 by Amory Lovins, RMI began as a small group of colleagues focusing on energy solutions. It has since grown into a broad-based Institute with approximately 250 full-time staff, an annual budget of $50 million, and a global reach.
RMI is engaged in research that addresses pragmatic designs, practices, and business models, not social theories or laboratory experiments. We work on all parts of the solution process—idea, strategy, and implementation—in the high impact areas of electricity, mobility and vehicle efficiency, electricity, energy and resource use, and the built environment (both existing and new).
RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado, New York City, Beijing, China, and Washington, D.C.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking candidates to fill a position as a Data and Reporting Analyst for the Project Management Office.
We are currently looking to fill a technical role requiring strong analytical attention to detail with intense focus on quality. Responsiveness to business priorities is critical along with an eye for continuous improvement and data, reporting, visualization and system integrity. Operational areas this position will support includes Project Management Office, Finance/Accounting, People Team (Human Resources) and Development. This person will earn a reputation as the service provider for data operational data integrity, reporting and knowledge.
- Report and Dashboard Generation and Maintenance – Create and maintain reports and dashboards as required by the Programs to effectively manage Project, Initiative and Program level effectiveness.
- Provide and maintain project-level staff utilization, budget plan vs actual and forecasted spending reports for over 150 active projects.
- Revisit report audience to ensure continued effectiveness of the information.
- Identify effective methods to display information so that the typical questions are answered through the information in a timely fashion.
- Maintain and enhance Institute-level impact dashboard to ensure the highest quality data integrity and ease of data entry.
- Provide advanced data visualization through the use of data analytics tools.
- Using proprietary reporting functionality, create reports from systems which support operational process.
- Data Analysis and Mapping - Develop and manage detailed data maps identifying data ownership, data integration points between systems and single-source of truth of enterprise-level data.
- Download, analyze and synthesize data from various systems on a scheduled basis in order to ensure accurate cost allocation, budget and forecast updates, actual cost assignment, time corrections and project audits.
- Identify data libraries in operations systems consisting of project management (Mavenlink), accounting (NetSuite), financial reporting (Adaptive), human resources (SyncHR), lean/contact/opportunity management (Salesforce) and various other systems (MS Sharepoint applications).
- Understand and map the data integration points between operational systems to ensure understanding of where data is being used and the interpretation of that data through reporting and analysis.
- Data Migration - Assist with data migration from operational systems where required
- Lead requirements to migrate data from one system to another in cases of system enhancements or system replacements.
- Ensure historical data that is not migrated is backed up and accessible.
- Data Integration – Provide integration analysis and development between systems in order to provide timely and accurate data sharing.
- Provide API analysis and development for system integration points by working with system vendors.
- Monitor and maintain integration points between systems.
- Data Quality – Ensure data integrity between systems where integration and reporting between multiple systems is required.
- Identify areas where data is integrated and used for key decision-making and recommend audits for data quality.
- Automate data audits and troubleshooting / correcting issues as required along with ensuring “mistake proofing” is implemented to reduce the likelihood of continued errors.
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in an applicable support field for a similar services organization.
- Worked with relational databases (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, IBM Db2 etc.) and analyze, model and interpret data
- High-level competency in Microsoft Excel (VBA a plus)
- Advanced mathematical skills
- Experience with programming languages, such as SQL
- Strong attention to details with exceptional accuracy
- Experience with API development
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2016 applications and tools
- Understanding of financial and project terms and concepts
- System and data integration troubleshooting experience
- Demonstrable operational problem-solving skills
- Intense curiosity and creativity
- Good judgment and strong decision-making ability
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with senior staff in various organizations and governments
- Proven organizational skills
- Ability to effectively multitask
- Sophisticated ability to recognize and handle sensitive and confidential information
- Highly collaborative, strong team player
- Experience with supporting accounting, finance and project management processes
- Experience with advance visualization tools such as Microsoft Power BI or Tableau
- General familiarity with financial management, opportunity management and human capital management concepts
- Interest in clean energy industry
- 5 years’ work experience
- A passion for making the world better
Location: Boulder, CO