Associate / Senior Associate - Mobility Program
RMI is seeking candidates for an Associate in our Mobility Transformation Program. Our Associates are creative problem solvers who use their quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling analyses around vital mobility issues. They collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and for our clients. We look for aptitude at solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers, and working in groups. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, the ability to drive oneself and others toward meaningful results, and a passion for making the world better. RMI Associates are independent contributors and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. Associates have begun to develop expertise in the content area of their program within RMI and can provide support internal to RMI on that topic.
Successful candidates would support RMI’s Mobility Transformation Program in accelerating the decarbonization of the transportation system, now the single largest contributor to greenhouse gas in the United states and 24% of global emissions. In order to achieve emissions reductions in line with Paris Climate Accord goals, transformative change is required in the mobility sector over the next 10 years. To do this, we focus on vehicle electrification, charging infrastructure, and more energy and space efficient modes of transportation. We work with government, utilities, regulators, vehicle fleet operators, manufacturers and others to improve the economics, availability, and desirability of clean mobility. We seek out innovative early adopters who are willing to experiment with and ultimately implement transformative solutions.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key job responsibilities of this position include:
- Team with colleagues to shape and deliver consulting and philanthropy-driven projects in the areas of mobility transformation, electrification and digitalization
- Locate and manage high-quality data that allow us to shed new light on problems and solutions.
- With senior support, execute creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight
- Synthesize ideas into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Analyze and present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage and build relationships with external information sources via phone interviews, conferences, and workshops.
- Maintain high level of curiosity and motivation about modern Mobility (people and things) challenges around the world
You may be qualified for this position if you have the following:
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently.
- Leadership experience, in roles requiring teamwork and group process management
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Ability to communicate your ideas clearly in both written and verbal form
- Ability to work in a highly verbal, real time environment (like workshops) with comfort
- Previous experience in or deep interest with the nonprofit world
- Ability to think big and small: to understand and link market development and social change context with the specific day-to-day realities of our EV and Grid and other Mobility projects.
- Interest in, and proven ability to learn fast and create new insights
- At minimum a bachelor’s degree plus relevant work experience, or a higher degree such as a Master’s degree in an applicable field such as economics, science, engineering or business, at least one degree with significant analysis and data management components
- RMI-relevant (i.e. sustainability or renewables or energy system-related) project experience beyond coursework, within or outside of the academic setting
- Excellent references.
- Robust quantitative analysis capability
- Coursework or other experience leading to good understanding of modern electricity and transportation energy systems
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Engineering, Business, Sciences)with a strong GPA relative to your institution
- Work experience in related or relevant (ie, energy or scientific/engineering or information technology/data) field
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.