Associate / Senior Associate - Global Climate Finance
About Rocky Mountain Institute
RMI’s mission is to transform global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. RMI engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. We employ rigorous research, analysis, and whole-systems expertise to develop breakthrough insights. We then convene and collaborate with diverse partners—business, government, academic, nonprofit, philanthropic, and military—to accelerate and scale solutions.
Global Climate Finance
RMI established a Global Climate Finance program in 2017 in recognition that the mobilization and smart allocation of finance is a critical enabler of the low-carbon transition globally. Our overall theory of change, captured in our 2018 publication Reinventing Climate Finance, envisions accelerated capital stock transformation each carbon-emitting sector’s asset base (e.g. power plants, steel mills, vehicles). This means boosting clean energy finance flows, shutting off financial flows to build “dirty” fossil assets, accelerating the rate of retirement of those dirty assets, and shrinking the volume of assets needed in the first place (e.g. through demand-side efficiency and new mobility business models).
Our program blends thought leadership and the implementation of catalytic solutions to transform our global economy’s capital stock of assets. In developing countries, we work to boost climate finance flows by building strong national institutions (Green Investment Banks and the Climate Finance Access Service) and deploying innovative financial instruments to mobilize and deliver climate finance (Climate Auctions). In advanced economies, we accelerate the retirement of fossil energy capital stock by managing the capital transition while avoiding stranded assets and seek to apply these learnings in emerging markets (Managing the Coal Capital Transition).
RMI is seeking an Associate or Senior Associate to support the Managing the Coal Capital Transition initiative. Based on the first global survey of approaches that can ease capital destruction for asset owners and their shareholders, RMI is expanding its work to offer investors and policymakers clearer pathways to transition the power sector to a well below 2°C temperature target through the early retirement of coal and other fossil fuel assets. While this position works within the Global Climate Finance program, RMI’s work on transitioning coal capital assets cuts across multiple programs including Electricity and our work with individual countries, such as China.
This position’s most immediate duties include working across RMI programs to develop first-of-a-kind insights on how multilateral and bilateral finance institutions can provide financing structures and resources to minimize capital destruction during the early transition of fossil fuel assets in emerging markets. She/he will also support the team through a wide range of activities, including research, analysis and writing; stakeholder engagement and management; and planning and facilitation of workshops and events. In addition to supporting the above initiatives, these positions will also serve as a resource on climate finance for other programs within RMI. This is an excellent opportunity for early to mid-career professionals with a demonstrated interest in climate finance and a desire to undertake a variety of responsibilities within a fast-moving program.
The Global Climate Finance team will consider candidates for both the Associate and Senior Associate levels. Associates will work closely with various team members under the direction of more senior staff, whereas Senior Associates will be responsible for more substantial portions of projects and may manage smaller projects. The appropriate level will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
For both Senior Associate and Associate roles, responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide core research on financial institutions and tools to accelerate the early retirement of fossil fuel assets
- Assist management in building relationships with programs at multi-lateral and bi-lateral development banks
- Developing analytical products including discussion papers, market surveys, concept notes, and presentations
- Planning, designing, and facilitating workshops hosted both at RMI and at various international venues
- Representing RMI and the Global Climate Finance program at conferences and events both domestically and internationally
- Supporting communications efforts (e.g., through blogs and other digital content)
- Preparing proposals, pitch decks, grant reports and other donor-facing materials
- Serving as a climate finance resource to various RMI programs
Senior Associate and Associate responsibilities may be divided as follows:
- For Senior Associate, 5+ years of work experience in a related field; for Associate, 1-2 years work experience in a related field
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as finance, economics, business, environmental policy, or international development
- Experience with and/or knowledge of relevant international finance institutions (multilateral development banks, development finance institutions, climate funds, international commercial banks)
- Experience with and/or knowledge of one or more of the program’s key themes (climate and development finance, public and private financial instruments, project finance)
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Highly collaborative, strong team player
- Willingness to dive into new areas of work and to learn new subject matter
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Problem solver who is willing to develop and share ideas internally and externally
* Our staff is composed of a wide skill set and we welcome a diverse range of education and experience. In addition, RMI ensures thoughtful review of each candidate to determine the appropriate position level for all individuals and this will be communicated prior to the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Parental Leave
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
Location: Boulder, CO or Washington D.C.