Senior Editor / Writer
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a senior writer and editor with a strong journalistic background and deep knowledge and technical expertise of energy, clean energy, and climate. The senior editorial position combines a writer’s curiosity, innovation, and creativity with the operational focus to coordinate volume production of RMI’s thought leadership reports and products. He/she will be part of RMI’s editorial team, supporting the writing and production of publications and products on the energy transition and climate change. A key role is to help enhance the writing quality of the Institute’s reports and products as well as coordinate an extensive report and publications schedule and resourcing.
Under the supervision of the editorial director, the senior writer/editor will be responsible for supporting the writing, production, and editing of RMI’s global editorial and publications portfolio; writing compelling and original content for RMI’s donor and industry magazines; and managing a freelance team of writers.
The position is within the Marketing & Communications team. A successful hire should have extensive journalistic or equivalent writing experience on the technical aspects of energy and climate, and a strong portfolio within top tier and/or trade media or demonstrated background writing and editing thought leadership products for a similar NGO. S/he will work with the Institute’s program teams and writers, external partners, and other outside complementary thought leaders. S/he will have at least 5–7 years of experience as a journalist and/or editor.
Expertise and track record of writing on energy, electricity, finance, the built environment, industry, emerging markets, and mobility is desired. This hire will exhibit high intellectual curiosity and dedication toward RMI’s mission and be proficient at communicating to various B2B and B2C audiences at different levels of depth.
The senior writer/editor (manager) will head up the editorial service in RMI’s headquarters in Boulder, and report to the editorial director.
Editorial and Writing
- Co-create editorial, write content, and copyedit for various types of publications:
- Program publications, such as technical reports, insight briefs, and marketing collateral
- Energy Transition online magazine articles and weekly newsletters
- Donor publications, both print and digital
- Work in a team with in-house editorial and design as well as help manage schedules and ensure deadlines of external writers
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style, and tone
- Be metrics- and results-driven
- Have excellent organizational and leadership skills as well as a unique problem-solving ability
- Be customer service-minded and strong on professional service delivery
- Be proficient in Monday.com or other project management software
- Negotiate and prioritize schedules with internal clients in order to deliver assets on time
- Monitor projects from initiation through delivery
- Identify resources and/or schedule conflicts and changes in project scope
- Drive efficiencies across all aspects of our work
- Work closely with digital/traditional media functions to promote and disseminate content and thought leadership topics
- 5–7 years of experience in journalism or equivalent writing and editing experience within energy and renewables
- Proven track record of published top tier and trade media articles on energy transition topics, clean energy, electricity, energy efficiency, buildings, finance, and climate change
- BA or equivalent in journalism or similar relevant field
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- In-depth knowledge of Monday.com, WordPress, and SEO concepts or other project management software.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and leadership skills
- Excellent initiative, follow through, and project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively and flexibly
- Ability to build trust with the broader organization and work effectively in a highly collaborative team environment
- A knack for unravelling complex problems and processes in an easy-to-understand way
- Able to synthesize feedback and relay it appropriately
- An intense drive for results and impact
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Passion for RMI’s mission and theory of change
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement
- Life, AD&D, and Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.