Program Marketing Manager - Emerging Solutions Program
Program Marketing Manager for the Emerging Solutions Program
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking an experienced Program Marketing Manager to lead marketing and communications (M&C) strategy and execution for the RMI Emerging Solutions (ES) group. Emerging Solutions is a newly established group with a unique cross-program charter within RMI to support cutting edge thought leadership work and communications. ES’s mission is to catalyze and coordinate thought leadership activities at the edges and intersections of RMI programs and to inform, inspire, and enable new activities that will address the urgent global challenge of climate change mitigation. ES is also the organization’s main conduit for leveraging the expertise of RMI’s Chief Scientist.
We seek to:
- Inspire leading agents in the global energy system to take ambitious actions that unlock new value and speed the energy transition
- Build collaborative capacity among public, private, and philanthropic partners to guide and sustain these actions
- Identify and anticipate emerging trends in and across technology, society, and economy and assess implications (risk and leverage points) for RMI’s mission, ongoing programmatic work, and new opportunities
- Contribute to the creation, incubation, and synthesis of new initiatives and narratives that transform the way humans generate, store, move, and use energy around the world.
ES brings a systems-thinking perspective to interconnected behavioral, technoeconomic, and institutional forces that influence the pace and direction of the energy transition.
This hire will work as an integral part of the Emerging Solutions group, while also being a part of RMI’s broader Marketing & Communications team. Responsibilities include conducting market assessments, developing M&C strategy and tactical plans, and leading the execution of those plans personally and by employing in-house and 3rd-party resources.
RMI communications plans utilize diverse channels and media. A successful hire will enjoy developing strategy and executing that work, both individually and through effectively engaging in-house functional experts (this in-house team supports all RMI programs and fundraising) in editorial, design, traditional and digital media, and web for the benefit of their programs. S/he will enjoy working across programs, and with partners and other outside resources, and will have 7+ years M&C experience including B2B marketing and communications. Expertise in the energy system is highly desired. This hire will exhibit high intellectual curiosity toward the market space and be proficient at communicating at different levels of depth (more in-depth for industry audiences; simplified for lay audiences including donor prospects).
This position reports to the program Lead Principal for Emerging Solutions and retains dotted line responsibilities into RMI’s central communications team.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead overall communications strategy for our Emerging Solutions group, a 10-person program. This includes spearheading the launch of several RMI efforts related to new approaches to the global energy transition.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver marketing plans for our current and emerging initiatives that leverage diverse channels including media relations, social / digital, events, direct communications, and RMI- and partner-owned assets.
- Initiatives will be international in scope, including a new global energy solutions lab that will convene major international corporate, government, and NGO executives (C-level) and leaders and will include major launches of new programs and initiatives.
- Build, own, and manage annual M&C budget in partnership with the Lead Principal.
- Craft audience-specific messages, whether to industry audiences or our program donor base.
- Develop substantive understanding of the technical content for owned impact areas.
- Collaborate with and leverage in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and 3rd-party agencies.
- Coordinate integrated communications with external partners and develop new and strategic partnerships.
- Develop and report against metrics of success
- Ensure RMI’s Development team has robust fundraising materials.
- Direct RMI technical experts into the right conversations (media, social, other) that are shaping target audience sentiment in line with goals.
- Steward program brands in markets.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- An intense drive for results and impact
- 7+ years’ experience in marketing and communications disciplines, with clear experience in developing strategies and leading successful communications campaigns.
- Excellent initiative and follow-through and project management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal / collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Passion for RMI’s mission and theory of change
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer