Accelerator Program Director
New technologies and business models are critically needed for the energy transition, but suffer from inadequate investment. This new program from Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) and New Energy Nexus reimagines how early-stage cleantech is brought to market by combining a startup accelerator, integrated $250M+ VC fund(s), 15 global corporate partners, and RMI’s knowledge and network. Vertically integrating an early stage accelerator and VC fund with corporates’ resources and know-how will overcome the capital intensity and timeline challenges of cleantech investing.
This program is being organized jointly by New Energy Nexus and RMI
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 220 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $52 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; Oakland, California; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus is a non-profit international organization that strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. To achieve this goal, New Energy Nexus supports diverse clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators and networks. New Energy Nexus started in California and now operate programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia and East Africa.
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking a Program Director responsible for launching, managing, and leading a new startup accelerator program that will be closely linked with a new venture fund and a leading coalition of corporate partners. The Program Director will serve as an external face for the new accelerator while ensuring that the launch and implementation of this new initiative is successful—supporting dozens of startup companies per year to scale solutions faster through connections with investors and corporate partners. This role includes fundraising, developing curriculum and other support for startup companies, managing program execution, hosting multiple major events per year, and liaising with corporate partners and accelerator portfolio companies.
- Provide compelling and credible leadership to shape, fund, and launch RMI’s new accelerator initiative
- Work hand-in-glove with our accelerator partner to shape a global accelerator for the clean energy space
- Liaise at a high level with investors, corporate groups, donors, and other program partners
- Develop tailored program curriculum and other support provided to accelerator portfolio companies in collaboration with accelerator partner, fund, and corporate partners
- Manage a team to execute this program on-time and on-budget, including recruiting and application process, curriculum and other support provided to companies, relationship management, and convening two to three events per year
- Work with PR team to amplify message and build recognized brand
- Identify and set up key connections with potential funding sources in collaboration with Development, and join fundraising efforts with Development to enhance program credibility
- Build a strong mentor network of experts to support startups in the program
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years leadership experience working directly with accelerators, startups and investors
- Successful management and delivery of previous accelerator cohort(s)
- Coaching mindset approach to supporting others as they build great companies
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to smoothly manage large events
- Proven project management in complex fast paced environment
- Strong network of innovative partners in energy around the world
- Recognized thought leader in the energy innovation ecosystem
- Experience working at or closely with early-stage startups (software or hard-tech)
- Ability to travel globally; multinational business experience preferred
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location: Boulder, CO or Oakland, CA