Accelerator Program Director
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 220 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $52 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; Oakland, California; and Beijing.
The RMI Ventures Program creates and accelerates market-based clean energy solutions to climate change, energy access, energy security, and environmental sustainability. Through the combination of RMI expertise, an experienced accelerator program partner, a large investment fund, and at least a dozen corporate partners, we are creating a powerful new model to scale sustainable solutions more quickly.
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking a Program Director responsible for launching, managing, and leading a new startup accelerator program that will be closely linked with a new venture fund and a leading coalition of corporate partners. The Program Director will serve as an external face for the new accelerator while ensuring that the launch and implementation of this new initiative is successful—supporting dozens of startup companies per year to scale solutions faster through connections with investors and corporate partners. This role includes fundraising, developing curriculum and other support for startup companies, managing program execution, hosting multiple major events per year, and liaising with corporate partners and accelerator portfolio companies.
- Provide compelling and credible leadership to shape, fund, and launch RMI’s new accelerator initiative
- Work hand-in-glove with our accelerator partner to shape a global accelerator for the clean energy space
- Liaise at a high level with investors, corporate groups, donors, and other program partners
- Develop tailored program curriculum and other support provided to accelerator portfolio companies in collaboration with accelerator partner, fund, and corporate partners
- Manage a team to execute this program on-time and on-budget, including recruiting and application process, curriculum and other support provided to companies, relationship management, and convening two to three events per year
- Work with PR team to amplify message and build recognized brand
- Identify and set up key connections with potential funding sources in collaboration with Development, and join fundraising efforts with Development to enhance program credibility
- Build a strong mentor network of experts to support startups in the program
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years leadership experience working directly with accelerators, startups and investors
- Successful management and delivery of previous accelerator cohort(s)
- Coaching mindset approach to supporting others as they build great companies
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to smoothly manage large events
- Proven project management in complex fast paced environment
- Strong network of innovative partners in energy around the world
- Recognized thought leader in the energy innovation ecosystem
- Experience working at or closely with early-stage startups (software or hard-tech)
- Ability to travel globally; multinational business experience preferred
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.