Development Specialist – Donor Communication and Events
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 220 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $50 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing. www.rmi.org
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a self-motivated and eager candidate with exceptional organizational and communication skills to work as a part of the Donor Communications Team to managing donor-facing communications and events. The ideal candidate is able to manage competing priorities with a can-do attitude, and maintain a pleasant and professional demeanor under pressure. The person must have a proven track record handling sensitive information.
The Development Communications and Engagement Specialist will directly report to Director - Development Marketing and Communications and provide support in the development and execution of donor communications, including curating program content for key donor audiences, market research and communications campaigns that support Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) cultivation and stewardship of donors and enhance philanthropic funding.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop a deep understanding of Rocky Mountain Institute’s strategy and how marketing and communications strategies oriented to our donor-base—including our major donor prospects—can successfully support the philanthropic support of our goals and outcomes.
- Support in the execution of year-round donor-focused marketing and communications campaigns.
- Support communications to RMI giving circles, delivering on member benefits associated with marketing and communications.
- Draft and/or review donor communication materials such as emails, newsletters, program concept notes, two-pagers, grant proposals, stewardship reports, brochures, videos, digital content, and social media content.
- Develop and maintain the development content library to provide access across the development team for approved content.
- Support development of our ‘digital ecosystem,’ including enhanced functionality of Pardot and Salesforce as primary means of digital engagement
- Support internal development communications needs, including the development newsletter, development presentations to senior leadership and Board of Trustees, for example.
- Collaborate closely with other development staff to facilitate successful execution of donor-specific events and communications materials and campaigns.
- Collect and report on metrics associated with marketing campaigns to track progress
- Provide other project-specific communications support upon request.
- Research and evaluate new communications and marketing tools as needed.
- Technical and Tools Knowledge. Maintains a high level of knowledge of and facility with office tools and software including Salesforce, Pardot, Office 365, Calendar functions, SharePoint, OneDrive, Excel, Word, and Macintosh. Actively pursues improvement in skill levels. Understands the basic functioning and troubleshooting of iPhones, printers, fax equipment and other such devices.
- Dependability. Can be counted on to assist with projects outside areas of primary responsibility.
- Flexibility. Is able to handle unanticipated changes to schedules, plans and workloads; approaches difficult situations with a positive attitude.
- Presentation. Exhibits a high level of professionalism in interaction with others. Communicates clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and has superior listening skills. Interacts with others in a professional manner. Represents RMI to the outside world, often by engaging with people at the highest levels in corporations, foundations, individual donors, government, and academic institutions.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Experience in events, marketing and communication
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels, often under pressure, remaining positive, flexible, proactive, resourceful, efficient, and managing multiple demands
- Able to manage several responsibilities at a time while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and exceptional accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Calendar functions, Sharepoint, OneDrive, Excel, Powerpoint, Word and typical contact database software
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential
- Experience working for a geographically dispersed organization
- Experience working for a nonprofit
- Experience working with fundraising database software and marketing automation software
Location: New York City
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer