Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a self-motivated and eager candidate with exceptional organizational and communication skills to provide high-level administrative support for the Managing Director of Development and Development team and to provide outstanding acknowledgement, stewardship, and customer service to RMI’s donors, managing their confidential gift and personal information in our Salesforce database. This position also supports event engagements for the Development team as needed across our offices. The ideal candidate is able to manage competing priorities with a can-do attitude, and maintain a pleasant and professional demeanor under pressure. The person must have a proven track record handling sensitive information.
This position reports to the Managing Director of Development.
Development Executive Support (40%). Serves as a full member of the Development team and right hand to the Managing Director of Development. Excitement about fundraising and performing distinct development tasks will be an essential part of the job--such as providing assistance to the MD in that top-level portfolio; working with Salesforce to update records; input data and generate reports and lists; manage weekly development team meeting agendas. Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential as position will be expected to help prepare and respond to a range of high level correspondence (proof, edit and draft) correspondence, briefings, and donor meeting materials. Makes and manages all logistical and booking details related to travel.
As needed may work with Trustees, volunteers and other high-level stakeholders to assist with scheduling relevant donor meetings and to handle all necessary post-meeting correspondence, requiring a high level of poise, professionalism, timeliness and attention to detail. A basic understanding of portfolio development and moves management is also important—may track status of gift and work with appropriate colleagues in data operations to help manage our top donors. Will be expected to understand operations and flag potential issues to the MD and development team. Tracks communications and administrative activities within department and among direct reports to the MD. The ideal candidate will be interested in building their skills in development professionally.
Gift Processing, Acknowledgement and Reporting (40%)
- Gift Processing - Process pledges, gifts, pledge-receivables and grant contracts for Development Department, including accurate and timely data entry and document upload in Salesforce.
- Acknowledging all gifts received, providing customized donor acknowledgements and supporting stewardship for RMI’s recognition levels
- Update donor acknowledgment letter based on donor-focused research
- Donor Data Management – update donor records from available information through research, donor communication, including returned mail and online communications.
- Assist development operational process improvements by documenting and improving internal processes between development, project management office and finance.
- Initiate Thank You Calls by Development Department
- Provide database administrative support for fundraising, campaign, gift acknowledgment, and donor recognition programs.
- Understand the Salesforce Reporting Functions. Prepare basic Salesforce reports and modify complex Apsona/Salesforce reports for data quality control, donor engagement opportunities, prospect research in advance of fundraiser and executive travel.
Customer Service and Event Support (20%)
- Provide outstanding customer service for donor requests and questions through email and phone communications.
- Event support as-needed, including onsite logistical support for donor-focused events
- Technical and Tools Knowledge. Maintains a high level of knowledge of and facility with office tools and software including Salesforce, Office 365, Calendar functions, SharePoint, OneDrive, Excel, Word, and Macintosh. Actively pursues improvement in skill levels. Understands the basic functioning and troubleshooting of iPhones, printers, fax equipment and other such devices.
- Dependability. Can be counted on to assist with projects outside areas of primary responsibility.
- Flexibility. Is able to handle unanticipated changes to schedules, plans and workloads; approaches difficult situations with a positive attitude.
- Presentation. Exhibits a high level of professionalism in interaction with others. Communicates clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and has superior listening skills. Interacts with others in a professional manner. Represents RMI to the outside world, often by engaging with people at the highest levels in corporations, foundations, individual donors, government, and academic institutions.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Two years of experience working in an administrative support role
- Strong team and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently
- Must be well-organized, flexible and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting executive level individuals
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels, often under pressure, remaining positive, flexible, proactive, resourceful, efficient, and managing multiple demands
- Able to manage several responsibilities at a time while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and exceptional accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Calendar functions, Sharepoint, OneDrive, Excel, Powerpoint, Word and typical contact database software
- Experience planning domestic and international travel
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential
- Experience working for a geographically dispersed organization
- Experience working for a nonprofit
- Experience working with fundraising database software
Office location: Boulder, CO
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer