Program Marketing Manager - Electricity Program
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and clean energy. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking an experienced Communications and Program Marketing Manager to lead marketing and communications (M&C) strategy and execution for RMI’s Electricity Program. The Electricity Program accelerates the deployment of clean energy solutions in the United States electricity sector to ensure a transition to a distributed energy future. We work with utilities and state regulators to overhaul business models and evolve utilities into “utilities of the future”; with businesses to develop and share solutions for integrating distributed energy resources into the grid; and with influential early adopters who are willing to experiment with and ultimately implement transformative solutions.
More specifically, the Electricity Program’s initiatives seek to:
- Identify the technical and financial strategies to accelerate the transition from coal to clean;
- Engage directly with first-mover regulators and utilities to bust barriers and implement comprehensive market and business model reform to ensure a distributed energy future;
- Develop technical and economic analysis to accelerate the transition to a carbon-free grid; and
- Provide a groundbreaking change lab to support innovation, collaboration, and the acceleration of the ideas that will transform the electricity system.
A successful hire for this position will develop, execute, monitor and evaluate an ongoing communications campaign to inform and influence state and national decision makers in business, policy, and regulatory roles. This communications professional will be an integral part of RMI’s Electricity Program, coordinating across multiple RMI programs and partnering with RMI’s broader Marketing & Communications team. This position reports to the program lead and will work in either Boulder, CO (preferred) or New York City.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver an ongoing, multi-year communications campaign to build momentum and drive large scale change, leveraging diverse channels including earned media, social / digital, events, direct communications, and RMI- and partner-owned assets
- Research and craft audience-specific messages
- Develop substantive understanding of the technical aspects of this program
- Collaborate with and leverage in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and 3rd-party agencies
- Coordinate integrated communications with external partners
- Develop and report against metrics of success
- Ensure RMI’s Development team has robust fundraising materials to support the program
- Train and support RMI technical experts as spokespersons for the program
- Steward program brands in markets
- Build, own, and manage annual budget
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- 5+ years’ experience in marketing or communications disciplines, with a preference for non-profit and/or marketing agency experience
- Experience in climate, clean energy or electricity industry
- A drive for results and impact
- Excellent initiative and follow-through and project management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Creative thinker
- Passion for RMI’s mission
- Proficient at tailoring communication to different audiences (e.g., in-depth for industry audiences; simplified for lay audiences).
- Actively manage communications campaign with external partner organizations
- Flexible and comfortable working in an iterative manner and in a fluid environment
Boulder, CO (preferred) or New York, NY
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities in which we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are drawing the best from the complete talent pool
- Competent in communicating with diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
RMI is an equal opportunity employer