Associate / Sr. Associate - Buildings Program
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 200+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2019-2020 annual budget of $57 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking exceptional candidates to fill both Associate and Senior Associate positions within our Buildings Program. Associates and Senior Associates are creative problem solvers who use their quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling analyses around vital energy issues. They collaborate with team members to craft and convey visionary-yet-practical solutions for our research questions and for our clients. While they may bring unique skills, they are expected to be generalists within and even beyond a given program.
Successful candidates will become a team member within RMI’s Buildings Program, which seeks to decarbonize the building sector by 2050. We do this through efforts to deeply reduce energy consumption in residential and commercial buildings, electrify our building stock, and harness the mutual benefits of grid-interactive buildings. The Buildings Program drives impact in these areas through tactical client engagements, thought leadership, and demonstration projects. The Buildings Program balances research, technical analysis, boots-on-the-ground field work, communication, and collaboration to achieve its goals. Learn more about the Buildings Program’s core initiatives here:
Roles and Responsibilities
The key job responsibilities of an Associate include:
- Locate, manage, and analyze data using creative approaches that shed new light on problems and solutions.
- Present quantitative information in a clear and concise visual format.
- Synthesize insights and recommendations into compelling presentations and thought leadership (i.e. reports, insight briefs, and blogs)
- Engage with external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and project collaboration.
- Mentor staff on specific areas of expertise, e.g. building energy modeling.
The key responsibilities of a Senior Associate include the above, as well as:
- Design and create quantitative models to address key questions and challenges posed by research goals and clients.
- Structure and manage the work of more junior team members.
- Provide topical expertise for conference presentations, workshops, media engagements, and donor conversations.
- A graduate degree or equivalent professional experience in a field related to the built environment.
- Senior Associate candidates typically have 4+ years of professional experience.
- A background in building energy systems, building science, architectural engineering, or similar.
- Expertise in building energy simulation platforms, especially EnergyPlus.
- Field experience evaluating, designing, and/or commissioning building energy systems (HVAC, lighting, etc.).
- Exposure to other professions impacting the built environment, e.g. real estate finance, public policy, construction management, etc.
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design.
- Excellent quantitative analysis and modeling skills; ability to convert raw data into insights.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple work streams.
- Excellent writing skills, visual presentation capability, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Comfort working with ambiguity.
- High emotional intelligence, curiosity, and a desire to work collaboratively.
- A passion for advancing market-based solutions to climate change.
- For more information about the type of applicant we look for at RMI, visit .
RMI offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
- Appreciation of Work-Life Balance
Boulder, CO or Basalt, CO.
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.