Manager - America's Pledge
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of over 200 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a Manager to lead the work analyzing, aggregating, and showcasing state, city, and business action on climate change in support of America's Pledge.
This Manager will lead our team’s work to bring RMI’s decarbonization expertise and leadership to state and city-level engagement with policymakers, regulators, businesses, advocates, and other stakeholders. Specific project-level responsibilities will include research and analysis on GHG reduction strategies and associated policies, project and team management, collaborative stakeholder facilitation, as well as direct engagement with various domestic and international stakeholders.
Washington D.C or Boulder, CO
Our Managers are creative project leaders who guide and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our industry partners and research. Managers are RMI’s primary project managers, and work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects.
- The Manager is sometimes an individual contributor but is most often responsible for managing and guiding more junior staff, particularly Associates and sometimes Sr. Associates.
- Has responsibility for managing projects and/or significant portions of initiatives. The Manager works with Principals and Managing Directors to provide mentorship, professional development, and project reviews of more junior staff.
- Contributes to strategy-level conversations about initiatives and RMI.
- Developed expertise in one area and are conversant in one or more additional areas. The Manager represents RMI externally at mid-level technical events and to small to mid-sized groups.
- The Manager is beginning to participate in business development and sometimes has a significant role in that area.
- America’s Pledge brings together private and public sector leaders to ensure the United States remains a global leader in reducing emissions and delivers the country’s ambitious climate goals of the Paris Agreement. RMI co-leads analysis in support of America's Pledge.
- The America's Pledge work is housed in the Carbon-free Cities and States practice within RMI, a growing area in support of state and local action on climate and clean energy. RMI follows a think, do, scale approach to state and local engagements, focusing on designing and supporting activities that can be replicated in many locations.
Manage projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously challenging and QC-ing findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 25 contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
Provide thought leadership
- Develop domestic strategies for scaling energy efficiency, renewables, and clean transportation
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications, as well as press engagements
- Represent RMI as an subject matter expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- Strategically advise sub-national climate efforts
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in sustainability, renewables procurement, environment, economics, engineering, geography, or energy-related discipline
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Experience as a multidisciplinary team manager in project-based work environment
- Experience managing external stakeholder relationships
- Intense curiosity and creativity
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
- Exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Highly collaborative, strong team player
- Experience managing high performing junior team members
- The ability to create impact through influence
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- A passion for RMI’s mission
- Experience in managing consulting, campaigns, or similar work environments
- Deep expertise in U.S. energy systems, climate, buildings, transportation, and/or electricity industry
- Experience working in or with state or city leadership or corporate sustainability leadership
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email: email@example.com
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.