Principal - Building Electrification
Principal – Building Electrification
Oakland, CA; Boulder, CO
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking a Principal to lead the state- and city-level work for RMI’s Building Electrification program. This program works to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from the U.S. residential and commercial buildings, primarily by replacing fossil fuels with clean electricity for heating, hot water and cooking.
This Principal will lead our team’s work to bring RMI’s building decarbonization expertise and leadership to state and city-level engagement with advocates, policymakers, regulators, businesses, and other stakeholders. Specific project-level responsibilities will evolve over time as needed to support the program’s goal of eliminating greenhouse gas emissions from U.S. buildings, and will include managing junior staff in research and analysis projects and facilitating collaborative multi-stakeholder events.
- Managing relationships in key venues
- Act as the lead relationship manager with stakeholders in multiple priority venues (i.e., cities or states), focused on decarbonization of buildings
- Serve as the interface to RMI’s full expertise and leadership in these venues
- Convene and facilitate collaborative workshops, bringing RMI’s facilitation approach to develop new solutions and strategies
- Providing thought leadership
- Develop strategies for scaling building decarbonization solutions across the U.S.
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications
- Represent RMI in the media and other public speaking events
- Managing projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously and respectfully challenging findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 25 contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work with our development team to raise resources.
- Four plus years of experience as a multidisciplinary team manager in project-based work environment.
- Experience managing external stakeholder relationships
- Intense curiosity and creativity
- Willingness to take risks by exploring and testing new ideas
- Exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Highly collaborative, strong team player
- Experience managing high performing junior team members
- The ability to create impact through influence
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
- A passion for RMI’s mission
- Ability to travel regularly
- Experience in managing consulting, campaigns, or similar work environments
- Familiarity with energy, climate, buildings and/or electricity industry
- Experience working directly with state or city leadership
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment