Senior Development Officer
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team works tirelessly to achieve it.
We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We employ rigorous research, analysis, and whole-systems expertise to unlock market-based solutions that can be replicated and implemented now. We demonstrate these solutions in the real-world, then we design and develop mechanisms to scale these solutions at the rate required to meet the climate challenge head-on. We don’t do it alone. With philanthropic support, we convene and collaborate with diverse partners—business, government, academic, nonprofit, philanthropic, and military—to accelerate and scale solutions that tackle the toughest long-term problems.
We are an independent, nonpartisan nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $52 million, a team of nearly 220, and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; San Francisco Bay Area; New York City; Washington, DC; and Beijing.
For more information on RMI, visit www.rmi.org
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
The Senior Development Officer Opportunity
RMI is in a period of significant growth, as stakeholders and donors increasingly recognize the need for the global energy transition and our uniquely valuable work. We are seeking an accomplished development professional to generate philanthropic support from major donors and prospects, with a particular focus on high-net-worth individuals as we look to increase our unrestricted revenue. The Senior Development Officer will manage a portfolio of new and existing individual and foundation prospects with the capacity to make gifts from $100,000 to $1,000,000 and beyond by identifying and implementing strategies to identify and engage new supporters and deepen relationships with existing donors. They will collaborate with leaders across RMI to develop robust and compelling funding opportunities and to create effective plans for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Development, the Senior Development Officer will be a key contributor to our high-performing development team and play an essential role in the achievement of our fundraising goals.
· Advance individual and organizational relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions through personal visits, email correspondence, and telephone conversations with prospects and donors.
· Qualify prospects and develop strategies, meaningful campaigns, and engagement tools for high-net-worth individuals, delivering a high-quality experience for donors in their individual, foundation, and legacy giving.
· Work with the development team to create compelling proposals, cultivate new prospects, and steward existing donors.
· Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI's work and build strong working relationships with program leaders. Develop solid funding pipelines for programs and initiatives.
· Represent RMI at events in order to expand our network and cultivate donors.
· Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that will compel donors to support key programs and projects.
· Use our Salesforce database to document moves management processes and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for the portfolio.
· Support the development team in preparing communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinating activities with program colleagues.
· Serve as an active member of the development team by attending and participating in staff meetings, serving on special task forces, and understanding and contributing to our development strategy, achievement and overall mission.
As the incoming Senior Development Officer, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
· You bring 10+ years of front-line development experience, with a successful track record of securing six-figure contributions from individuals.
· You have experience in fundraising for organizations or programs related to energy, environment, technology, or policy and are a credible and enthusiastic advocate for RMI's mission.
· You demonstrate a strong knowledge of the global philanthropic landscape and trends as well as relevant fundraising strategies and techniques. Prior experience in an international organization is considered a strong advantage.
· You are highly collaborative and effectively manage across and up within your organization, with experience navigating complex internal structures.
· You are results-oriented and thrive within a fast-paced, high-growth organizational culture. You embrace opportunity and are able to demonstrate flexibility and creativity in your approach.
· You possess strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and a polished presentation style.
· You demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to balance responsibilities that range from external relationship-building to internal strategy development.
· You are able to travel up to 50 percent of the time.
· Prior success working as part of a geographically disparate organization is a plus.
compensation & benefits
Rocky Mountain Institute offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
*Please note that all applicants should submit materials through Koya Leadership Partners, using the link below. Please do not submit applications through the Rocky Mountain Institute platform.*
Rocky Mountain Institute has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Jennifer Stokes, here.
About Koya leadership partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.