Senior Development Officer
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 220 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $52 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute seeks an accomplished development professional to represent and generate philanthropic support for RMI priorities from major donors and prospects, in particular high-net worth individuals. The Senior Development Officer will be a key contributor to a high-performing development team and play an essential role in the achievement of the organization’s fundraising goals.
This position can be located in San Francisco, New York, Washington DC, or Boulder, CO
- Advance individual and organizational relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions for Rocky Mountain Institute through personal visits, email correspondence, and telephone conversations with prospects and donors.
- Identify, qualify, solicit and steward a portfolio of approximately 100 – 150 new and existing prospects (individuals, and foundations) with capacity to make gifts (from $100,000 to $1,000,000 and more).
- Develop meaningful campaigns and engagement tools for high-net worth individuals through global giving circles and other engagements to deliver a high quality experience for donors in their foundation, individual and legacy giving.
- Qualify prospects and develop strategies designed to realize the current and lifetime giving potential of individual and foundation prospects.
- Work with the development team to create compelling proposals, cultivate new prospects, and steward existing donors.
- Use Salesforce database to document moves management process and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for portfolio.
- Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI’s work and build strong working relationships with program leaders. Develop solid pipelines of funding for programs and initiatives.
- Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that will compel donors to support key programs and projects.
- Represent RMI at events in order to expand the organization’s network and cultivate donors.
- Support the development team in preparing communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinating activities with program colleagues.
- Serve as an active member of the development team; support the implementation of the development team’s short- and long-term objectives; engage with the development team by attending staff meetings, serving on special task forces, participating in development program meetings, and understanding and contributing to RMI development strategy and overall mission.
- A minimum of 10 years’ front line development experience in a leadership capacity, preferably in a policy, technology, environment, energy, or similar environment
- Knowledge of global philanthropic landscape and trends, and of relevant fund raising strategies and techniques
- A credible and enthusiastic advocate for RMI’s mission and objectives as demonstrated through personal or professional experience with one or more relevant sectors or issues
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; polished presentation
- Ability to travel up to 50 percent of the time
- Planned giving and international experience required.
- For-profit experience also desirable. Candidates with highly relevant for-profit sector backgrounds and fewer years’ development experience may be considered.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email: email@example.com
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.