Manager - Industry Program
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 200 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Our Managers are creative project leaders who guide and manage team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our industry partners and research. Managers are RMI’s primary project managers, and work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects.
- The Manager is sometimes an individual contributor but is most often responsible for managing and guiding more junior staff, particularly Associates and sometimes Sr. Associates.
- Has responsibility for managing projects and/or significant portions of initiatives. The Manager works with Principals and Managing Directors to provide mentorship, professional development, and project reviews of more junior staff.
- Contributes to strategy-level conversations about initiatives and RMI.
- Developed expertise in one area and are conversant in one or more additional areas. The Manager represents RMI externally at mid-level technical events and to small to mid-sized groups.
- The Manager is beginning to participate in business development and sometimes has a significant role in that area.
- RMI's Industry Program works to decarbonize consumed goods, including how they are Designed, Produced and Delivered to consumers
- One of three programmatic areas focuses on decarbonizing energy supply chains
- We recently secured funding for a significant initiative with the objective to reduce methane emissions from the natural gas supply chain, and are staffing the team with one manager and two (sr) associates
Managing projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously challenging and QC-ing findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 25 contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
Provides thought leadership
- Develop strategies for scaling energy efficiency and/or renewables, domestically and internationally
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- Will manage the project across the three work streams
- Measure and create a baseline of methane emissions from the Permian Basin in Texas
- Develop and operationalize a certification protocol and methodology for low-leakage natural gas
- Stimulate demand for low-leakage natural gas
- Significant interactions with industry stakeholders in Texas as well as participation in buyer discussions, requiring substantial travel (up to 50% of time)
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in sustainability, renewables procurement, environment, economics, engineering, geography, or energy-related discipline
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Project work or prior work experience within energy markets and/or the oil & gas sector
- Interest in joining the growing team of RMI's Industry Program, over time potentially working on other initiatives and projects
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment