Senior Associate - Mobility
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 200+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2018-9 annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI’s Mobility program is seeking an exceptional and experienced candidate to become a Senior Associate —RMI’s mid-level research and collaboration project position. Our Senior Associates are creative problem solvers who use their quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling quantitative analyses around vital energy issues. They collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and for our clients. And they help build rich networks with colleagues outside RMI working worldwide on the issues of importance to energy and climate.
RMI’s Sr. Associates are primarily independent contributors, with the ability to support and guide more junior staff. They are frequently responsible for substantial portions of projects and are learning to become project managers. For this role, the successful Senior Associate candidate will have developed significant expertise in analysis and research and data analytics, in areas relevant to electricity, transportation, and mobility. The candidate will also have some degree of understanding of the electricity system, electric vehicles (EVs) and charging infrastructure, and/or other new Mobility themes.
The successful candidate will become a team member within RMI’s Mobility program. This program focuses on decarbonization of Mobility in the developed world, with focus areas on enabling mobility services/sharing and electrification including cars and buses. The program teams with RMI’s trucking program and with our developing economies/India/China programs on global Mobility and Goods Shipment issues. Overall, Transportation is the largest single contributor to CO2 emissions in the US, and near the top globally. It is also deeply inefficient and for many, inequitable and unbearably costly. Our work is purposefully at the leading edge, shaping solutions and identifying and tackling barriers to low and no-carbon transportation solutions. A key focus is electrification of vehicles of all sizes, and the provisioning of charging systems to serve them, and linking those vehicle modes to other modes, from human-powered to high volume mass transit). Additional topics revolve around use of mobility systems by individuals, their management by government and private entities, and emerging approaches to personal mobility and goods transport, especially in or near cities.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key job responsibilities of this position include:
- Team with colleagues to shape and deliver consulting and philanthropy-driven projects in the areas of mobility transformation, electrification and digitalization, with a particular focus on acquiring, understanding and driving change using large data sets.
- Locate and manage high-quality data that allow us to shed new light on problems and solutions.
- Create creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Analyze and present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage and build relationships with current and potential customers and external experts via phone interviews, conferences, and responding to outreach requests.
You may be qualified for this position if you have the following:
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Ability to communicate your ideas clearly in both written and verbal form
- Ability to work in a highly verbal, real time environment (like workshops) with comfort
- Previous experience in or deep interest with the nonprofit world
- Ability to think big and small: to understand and link market development and social change context with the specific day-to-day realities of our EV and Grid and other Mobility projects.
- Interest in, and proven ability to learn fast and create new insights
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as economics, science, engineering or business with a focus on marketing or finance
- A concentration, or research project or previous job in data analysis, with proven robust quantitative analysis capability
- Ability to understand practical issues such as privacy, real time value, alternative approaches to data protocols, and other topics now emerging in the Mobility and electric charging data space
- Knowledge of the US electricity system and roles of relevant players in E-mobility
- Master’s and undergraduate degrees in a relevant field (Engineering, Business, Sciences)
- 2-4 years work experience in functionally related or relevant (ie, data analytics of some type, or possibly technical/engineering or entrepreneurial) field
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment