Associate - Mobility
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 200+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2018-9 annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
RMI’s Mobility program is seeking an exceptional candidate to become an Associate —RMI’s entry-level research and collaboration project position. Our Associates are highly motivated, fast learning, creative problem solvers who use their quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling quantitative and qualitative analyses around vital energy issues. They collaborate with team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our research questions and for our clients. And they help build rich networks with colleagues outside RMI working worldwide on the issues of importance to energy and climate. RMI’s Associates are independent contributors, working within teams on projects under the direction of senior staff. While they may bring unique skills, they are expected to be generalists within and even beyond a given Program.
The successful candidate will become a team member within RMI’s Mobility program. This program focuses on decarbonization of Mobility in the developed world, with focus areas on enabling mobility services/sharing and electrification including cars and buses and micromobility. The program teams with RMI’s trucking program and our developing economies/India/China programs on global Mobility and Goods Shipment issues. Overall, Transportation is the largest single contributor to CO2 emissions in the US, and near the top globally. It is a major polluter. And it is also a major challenge, with many inequities, for the poor everywhere around the world. Our work is purposefully at the leading edge, shaping solutions and identifying and tackling barriers to low and no-carbon transportation solutions. A key focus is electrification of vehicles of all sizes, and the provisioning of charging systems to serve them.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key job responsibilities of this position include:
- Team with colleagues to shape and deliver consulting and philanthropy-driven projects in the areas of mobility transformation, electrification and digitalization
- Locate and manage high-quality data that allow us to shed new light on problems and solutions.
- With senior support, execute creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight
- Synthesize ideas into clear and compelling presentations and written reports.
- Analyze and present quantitative information in a clear, visual format.
- Engage and build relationships with external information sources via phone interviews, conferences, and workshops.
- Maintain high level of curiosity and motivation about modern Mobility (people and things) challenges around the world
You may be qualified for this position if you have the following:
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently.
- Leadership experience, in roles requiring teamwork and group process management
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Ability to communicate your ideas clearly in both written and verbal form
- Ability to work in a highly verbal, real time environment (like workshops) with comfort
- Previous experience in or deep interest with the nonprofit world
- Ability to think big and small: to understand and link market development and social change context with the specific day-to-day realities of our EV and Grid and other Mobility projects.
- Interest in, and proven ability to learn fast and create new insights
- At minimum a bachelor’s degree plus relevant work experience, or a higher degree such as a Master’s degree in an applicable field such as economics, science, engineering or business, at least one degree with significant analysis and data management components
- RMI-relevant (i.e. sustainability or renewables or energy system-related) project experience beyond coursework, within or outside of the academic setting
- Excellent references.
- Robust quantitative analysis capability
- Coursework or other experience leading to good understanding of modern electricity and transportation energy systems
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Engineering, Business, Sciences)with a strong GPA relative to your institution
- Work experience in related or relevant (ie, energy or scientific/engineering or information technology/data) field
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment