Program Marketing Manager - Building Electrification
Communications and Program Marketing Manager – Building Electrification
Oakland, CA; Boulder, CO
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)—an independent nonprofit founded in 1982—transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. It engages businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to accelerate the adoption of market-based solutions that cost-effectively shift from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, CO; Oakland, CA; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking an experienced Communications and Program Marketing Manager to lead marketing and communications (M&C) strategy and execution for the RMI building electrification program. This program works to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from the U.S. building stock, primarily by replacing fossil fuels with clean electricity for heating, hot water and cooking. While technical solutions abound, awareness about the threat this pollution poses to our health and our climate is low among the public, allies, regulators, and policymakers. A priority for our program is to raise awareness about the problem and its solutions, and the actions needed to enable them. A successful hire for this position will develop, execute, monitor and evaluate an ongoing communications campaign to inform and influence state and national decision makers.
This communications professional will be an integral part of RMI’s new building electrification team, coordinating across multiple RMI programs and partnering with RMI’s broader Marketing & Communications team. This position reports to the program Managing Director. This hire will work in either Oakland, CA or Boulder, CO.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver an ongoing, multi-year communications campaign to build momentum and drive large scale change, leveraging diverse channels including earned media, social / digital, events, direct communications, and RMI- and partner-owned assets
- Research and craft audience-specific messages
- Develop substantive understanding of the technical aspects of this program
- Collaborate with and leverage in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and 3rd-party agencies
- Coordinate integrated communications with external partners
- Develop and report against metrics of success
- Ensure RMI’s Development team has robust fundraising materials to support this initiative
- Train and support RMI technical experts and allies as spokespersons
- Steward program brands in markets
- Build, own, and manage annual budget
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- 5+ years’ experience in marketing or communications disciplines
- A drive for results and impact
- Excellent initiative and follow-through and project management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Creative thinker
- Passion for RMI’s mission
- Proficient at tailoring communication to different audiences (e.g., in-depth for industry audiences; simplified for lay audiences).
- Actively manage communications campaign with external partner organizations
- Flexible and comfortable working in an iterative manner in a fluid environment
- Non-profit and/or marketing agency experience
- Experience in climate, clean energy or buildings industry
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities in which we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Are drawing the best from the complete talent pool
- Competent in communicating with diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match after the first year)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment